2017-2018 Division IV

MingusCoach

Staff member
Division IV 2018 Seniors in each section. This speaks to the potential strength in each section.

Section 1 = 41 Seniors

Section 2 = 36 Seniors

Section 3 = 35 Seniors

Section 4 = 77 Seniors

MingusCoach

Staff member
Seeding criteria for sectionals this year

SEEDING CRITERIA:

* Minimum of 7 matches (overall)

* Returning State Champion

* OVERALL Season Win %

* Head to Head Competition

TOURNAMENT SCORING:

1st place 16 Points

2nd place 12 Points

3rd place 9 Points

4th place 7 Points

AWARDS: Medals to top four places

Sectional Championship Team Award

Only top Four qualify for State Tournament

wm201617

The above post for scoring is accurate but incomplete at least as far as State. ( I never pay attention to Section scoring so I hate to say I am right absolutely when it comes to sectionals.
The points above are the bonus/ advance points at state. ( i have a spreadsheet but off the top of my head they look correct ) But IN addition to the bonus/advance at state you get 2 points for Ws on champ side and 1 point for Ws on Con side. So for 1st place you would get the 16 points for 1st. Plus obviously you had to win 4 times to get 1st so thats 8 more. PLUS 2 for each fall, 1.5 for tech and 1 for maj.
So a state champ that pins every match for example is worth 30 team points.
Also it matters when you lose. The total points after calculating bonus/advance other than 1st and 2nd can be slightly different ( like 1 pnt) depending on WHAT rnd you had your loss. e.g. a loss in the qtrs vs a loss in the semi's

AzWildCard

My state picks:

106- Rodriguez- SM
113- Pike- CV
120- Ramos- Casteel
126- Uhler- CV
132- Smith- SJ
138- Carrasco- Mor
145- Roybal- Mor
152- Garcia- ARLU
160- Densmore- Win
170- Lewis- Pima
182-Cheung-YC
195- Goodwin- Benson
220- Heap- SJ
HWT- Foster- Win

AzWildCard

Congratulations St. John’s on another state title. You do it with class, you do it the right way. Your boys are humble champions.

Ramos is P4P the best wrestler in D4. It’s fair to say he would beat everyone up to 138 pounds.

Rodriguez was sharp and dominated as expected.

A. Jimenez finally won his state title.

Uhler, Lewis, Goodwin and Heap repeated and dominated.

On a side note, enough with the inhaler breaks Camp Verde. You’re too good to be requesting injury time outs.

What a season!

Great job to every wrestler at this event. No need to tear others down. Dreams were realized and some were shattered. Great job to all involved.

az_wrestler

Great job ST Johns...all the talk on D3 and D4 gets put to the side....Ramos beats Cota defending state champ and a senior..very impressive. Casteel D2 next year with SS wow

MTLION05

I can’t help but think of Camp Verde’s 220 would of showed up they might of won some hardware... maybe been runner ups at least.

MingusCoach

Staff member
Camp Verde Wrestling has been blessed with multiple state champions every year. This year was no different with two of our wrestlers exhibiting severe asthma conditions.

Since birth, these boys have endured many health challenges. Often times their airways have become swollen and inflamed. The muscles around their airways would contract, causing their breathing tubes to narrow. On many occasions they experienced severe breathlessness or wheezing, coping with the inability to speak because of shortness of breath, and having to strain their chest muscles just to breathe. This led to many emergency trips to the hospital. Can you imagine the over whelming fear that both he and his parents endured?

Many families would have given up and quit under those circumstances. But not these young men, they have endured many obstacles in their lives, including booing from uninformed people, criticism from AZWildCard, but have managed to excel despite all of life’s challenges. They have channeled all their energy into wrestling which has provided them opportunities for personal victory.

This speaks of their courage and determination. Character of this sort is hard to find. To be a great wrestler you must have the desire to be the best, a desire to dominate on the mat. You must have a burning passion, a commitment and dedication to excel through sacrifices that must be made. It takes a high tolerance for pain. You have to be able to put up with a lot of pain, from pushing your body to its limits.

This best describes these two boys. Most athletes are not willing to sacrifice partying/drinking and the normal life for something much more rewarding. Most athletes aren’t willing to do this because they are content with fitting in and being mediocre. These two wrestlers choose to challenge themselves and be the best that they can be.

Last edited by a moderator:

AzWildCard

Camp Verde Wrestling has been blessed with multiple state champions every year. This year was no different with two of our wrestlers exhibiting severe asthma conditions.

Since birth, these boys have endured many health challenges. Often times their airways have become swollen and inflamed. The muscles around their airways would contract, causing their breathing tubes to narrow. On many occasions they experienced severe breathlessness or wheezing, coping with the inability to speak because of shortness of breath, and having to strain their chest muscles just to breathe. This led to many emergency trips to the hospital. Can you imagine the over whelming fear that both he and his parents endured?

Many families would have given up and quit under those circumstances. But not these young men, they have endured many obstacles in their lives, including booing from uninformed people, criticism from Mr. Garcia (AKA, AZ Wild Card), but have managed to excel despite all of life’s challenges. They have channeled all their energy into wrestling which has provided them opportunities for personal victory.

This speaks of their courage and determination. Character of this sort is hard to find. To be a great wrestler you must have the desire to be the best, a desire to dominate on the mat. You must have a burning passion, a commitment and dedication to excel through sacrifices that must be made. It takes a high tolerance for pain. You have to be able to put up with a lot of pain, from pushing your body to its limits.

This best describes these two boys. Most athletes are not willing to sacrifice partying/drinking and the normal life for something much more rewarding. Most athletes aren’t willing to do this because they are content with fitting in and being mediocre. These two wrestlers choose to challenge themselves and be the best that they can be.

CV Coach,

I fully understand the seriousness and complications that come with chronic asthma.

I’ve seen wrestlers for years who use an inhaler before every match and/or between periods. They aren’t using their inhalers as a crutch.

I’m bringing light to a pattern of injury breaks your wrestlers have in big matches. I’ve been seeing it for years.

I may be a critic but again, I’m not a fan of taking advantage of the rules.

chingon76

Staff member
CV Coach,

I fully understand the seriousness and complications that come with chronic asthma.

I’ve seen wrestlers for years who use an inhaler before every match and/or between periods. They aren’t using their inhalers as a crutch.

I’m bringing light to a pattern of injury breaks your wrestlers have in big matches. I’ve been seeing it for years.

I may be a critic but again, I’m not a fan of taking advantage of the rules.
first off sorry for the long winded response...

while I've not seen this behavior from CV in particular I have seen it before in high stakes matches. I saw it at state this year and I've seen it at countless tournaments. To the outsider, It seems that asthma strikes when a wrestler is in trouble or needs a rest or just needs some coaching. As a coach, I will never allow "fake" injuries, or fake asthma to keep one of my wrestler's from wrestling. I've had wrestlers try to use it but it is something our coaching staff doesn't allow. Usually, its a quick "get back out there... you're fine".... or "suck it up".

Now with that said. This season had some pretty gnarly injuries in our own wrestling room. A serious knee strain, a head laceration (complete with staples), two broken noses and a 2 shoulder injuries -- were part of the equation as we entered our final 3 competitions. We didn't talk about it but it was a sign of distress in almost every match. Outsiders rarely knew what our wrestlers were going through and rightfully so. When there was injury time we heard the crowd and even opposing coaches say things like "stalling" or "he's faking it". Be assured that we never stall. We don't promote it. We promote wrestling whistle to whistle. If our wrestlers give a distress signal we take it to mean serious business. It is because they are in dire need of medical "blood time"or help.

It comes down to a question of ethics (at least I would call it unethical ... I have other words for it but I also have other words medical forfeits that aren't real etc.). I hope a coach is trying to teach a young person MORE THAN WRESTLING. I want to teach my wrestlers that life sometimes doesn't give you a break. Sometimes you need to get that reward snatched away from you because YOU DIDN'T EARN IT. Sometimes you take a beating and have to learn something from it.

I hope coaches are being good and ethical every time they take an injury time. I know not all of them are doing it with sound judgement but hopefully they realize that the boys and girls on their team are learning from this behavior. There is not "injury time" in life. You have to sop up your own blood sometimes and clamor back onto the mat to face your challenge. Teach the kids this lesson by maintaining a good example.

It hasn't always been this way at Marcos... I know. We still get hate because of ill behavior that was tolerated from athletes and staff years ago. But I know our staff is better than that now. We've learned that we aren't in it to make champions just on the mat. We want our kids to be pillars of community and character. To teach that we have to start now.

Panther78

I've been away for many years....but this is nothing new with Camp Verde......

Things have changed alot in the world of kids and sports, coaches.......twist a kids ear today and you would think the thing came off in your hand!
Kudos to you coaches who stick with it trying to make a difference in a kids life, if that is your goal then you will know when kids are hurt and when they are just trying to get out of a jamb!
If you are in coaching to advance your own chest thumping then that is when issues become blurry.
As I followed the season it seemed there were way more injuries that resulted in loss of mat time! I respect those who try to rise to the challenge but also recognize that after 18 years old, there is still another 60-70 years to go!

MingusCoach

Staff member
Many do not understand that it is not the victory that is important. It’s the journey. The journey takes time, preparation and planning. Challenges provide kids with opportunities in the activity of wrestling while teaching them life success skills. Success isn’t defined by the trophies our kids earn. It’s the focus, discipline and perseverance the sport fosters in the youth and the life lessons it teaches them. The Wrestling philosophy is built on principles and standards that embrace integrity, respect, honesty, character, intensity, focus, discipline, goal setting, determination, perseverance, sacrifice and how to overcome challenges.

These are the characteristics they need to be successful on the mat, in school and in the workplace. These are the traits that will help prepare them for whatever life will send their way.

We would never teach our kids to take an injury time out for a break. I don’t even understand how someone could even think something like that. Anyone who can think that way, can only think such as that because they have done it themselves or have an evil mind.

Do you honestly think we are going to stop giving our kids medical care when they need it, just to please you?

I teach our boys, “to put their trust in the Lord. For he has never forsaken those who seek him. He will give you strength and make your way perfect. I pray that he grants you all your requests. I pray that he sends out his light and his truth your way, so that they may lead you and guide you in your journey of life.”

You who accuse falsely, you know not what spirit ye are of.