Congratulations to Morenci for winning a State Title

acestallion

Yep they shattered the teams point record as well, they'll go down in the record books for sure, an all-time great team.

jfingd

Staff member
Yep they shattered the teams point record as well, they'll go down in the record books for sure, an all-time great team.
Not to take anything away from Morenci's victory--but that team scoring total/"state record" needs an asterisk based on the number of matches and the size of the brackets.

az_wrestler

Not to take anything away from Morenci's victory--but that team scoring total/"state record" needs an asterisk based on the number of matches and the size of the brackets.
Acknowledgment to what Morenci accomplished- However I have been calling this year "IFFY" ,which some don't like, so I agree with you jfingd,
since coemption is over IFFY is now "needs an asterisk."

acestallion

I understand that position, I know Sunnyside's point total last year in 2020, imagine how much more it would have been in a 32-man bracket. And also Sunnyside in 2007, if they did team scoring for the individual tournament that year instead of the dual tournament I'm pretty sure that record would be standing for along time; 7 state champs, 9 finalists, 14 placers.

Still got to give Morenci their props, to me a lot of those brackets were essentially 16-man brackets with a few extra kids. However, I know those extra matches/byes/bonus points might have pushed them over the edge, but still they did it, and by all means they deserve all of it.