DI State Tournament

East Valley

Well the D1 Sectionals were intriguing. We won't know exactly how tough each was until after the state tournament.

So Mtn View gets in 13 qualifiers, Ironwood Ridge 12, Sunnyside 11 & Cibola all 14. I'm not sure how much that tells us other than it's going to be a dogfight like most of us thought. IR & Mtn View are Senior heavy. SS & Cibola return a lot of underclassman. They will both be tough for years to come. (I'm sure IR & Mtn View will reload too) I think Ciobla (My Dark horse) could make this really interesting.

All the teams have good & bad draws. (Computer did it basically)
-IR has four top 4 seeds & two top 8
-SS has four top 4 seeds & 4 top 8
-Mtn View has eight top 4 seeds & one top 8
-Cibola has five top 4 seeds & 3 top 8

It's hard to say. With all the light weights thumping on each other my guess is the big men (160 & up) will be the deciding factor.

devilfan

If Mt. View and Ironwood Ridge are the favorites then I think head to head matches will decide it. They are on the same side of the bracket in quite a few weight classes. Then again, they could end up splitting points and Sunnyside or Cibola could sneak in and grab the title.

Coach P

SS made a huge change at 108 and 113....Mason and Williams for MMV also was a big change....it will be close that is for sure....anyone know what happened to Castillo from IR? Injured? That kid is a stud!

hann123

Coach P said:
SS made a huge change at 108 and 113....Mason and Williams for MMV also was a big change....it will be close that is for sure....anyone know what happened to Castillo from IR? Injured? That kid is a stud!
He transferred to Marana Mountain View right before sectionals. So he is in the D2 bracket

Allazallstars

So are schools happier with the new seeding methods since it added in a Common Opponents aspect that applies before winning percentage?

Seems like this solves some of the issues I have heard complained about on here from schools that go out of state.

Those losses don't affect them as much since Head to Head and common opponents are applied first. And winning percentage only applies when all else is tied.

East Valley

So how exactly does the common opponent work? The #1 seed beats John Bob 4-2 & the #2 seed beats John Bob 9-2. That did happen but didn't change the seed. Does anyone know how it is applied?

Allazallstars

Individual scores of matches doesn't matter

just wins

if two wrestlers have 6 common opponents and no head to head with each other:

wrestler A went 5-1
wrestler B went 4-2

wrestler A gets the higher seed no matter what their personal winning percentage is

I don't know how the computer handled if you wrestled that common opponent multiple times or split wins or a number of other questions??

devilfan

Looks like heading into the medal rounds, the battle is for second place. Ironwood Ridge appears to have too big of a lead to overcome. East Valley's first comment kind of hit it on the head, Mt. View has had 2 placers in the uppper weights the past two years, which accounts for 30-40 team points. Unfortunately this year they only scored 6 points after the 184 class and Ironwood Ridge matched them. That coupled with very little production at the two lower weights was too much to overcome.

Props to IRR in the way their lineup evolved over the season. Contrary to popular practice, several of their wrestlers moved up to higher weight classes than they were wrestling earlier in the season and it definitely paid off for them.

The move of the tourney had to be Rylan Evans pulling off the "flying squirrel" to salvage his match against Reyes of Chandler. (Does anyone happen to have video of it that they could post?)

bayoubadger

devilfan said:
Looks like heading into the medal rounds, the battle is for second place. Ironwood Ridge appears to have too big of a lead to overcome.

I agree with Devilfan While I still think it is mathematically possible for Sunnyside to pull it off, it will be virtually impossible. Sunnyside has enough head to heads with Mountain View (that should go Sunnyside's way) that they should be able to secure the Runner-Up Trophy once again.