Division I, II, & III State Championship Brackets are Posted

Coach Pat

I think it’s unfortunate that total number of matches were taken into consideration. It gives southern Arizona a serious disadvantage in regards to seedings as we started on average three weeks late and most DI thru DIII kids from So AZ have half as many matches. Case in point...Cienegas Gabe Levy seeded 2 to AJ Valle from Casteel. Both were runners up last year but Levy is a three time state placer but has 9 matches (undefeated) vs 17 (undefeated).

jfingd

Staff member
I think it’s unfortunate that total number of matches were taken into consideration. It gives southern Arizona a serious disadvantage in regards to seedings as we started on average three weeks late and most DI thru DIII kids from So AZ have half as many matches. Case in point...Cienegas Gabe Levy seeded 2 to AJ Valle from Casteel. Both were runners up last year but Levy is a three time state placer but has 9 matches (undefeated) vs 17 (undefeated).
My opinion on seeding is 1st and second are interchangeable, and really don't make a huge difference--it's the next 4 seeds after the first two that can make or break a tournament for a kid.

Basically--they'll meet in the finals, regardless of which is 1st, and which is 2nd.

az_wrestler

What gets me is that semifinal loss puts u into 3-4th automatically, the wrestler who lost the first rounds only can get 5-6th, How many times have we seen a tem/person lose the first round and comeback to place 3rd...many,,now that chance is taken away. poor seeding and lack of consideration for the sport, AIA seems like lets just get it done and over. WOW

$$Justin$$

So the only wrestlers that have a shot at third or fourth are the losing semi finalist, meaning someone that has a tough seed and has a lose in the first or second round can only finish as high as fifth?

homerdindon

I wonder what the reasoning is behind that?
I haven't heard this from any sort of source, but I always just assumed it was because of the 5 match per day restriction. If you lose in the first round and end up in a placing match, you'd end up with 6 matches so I guess this is their solution to that.

homerdindon

If you factor in bonus points, 5th can always possibly score more than 3rd.

I believe that in this format, if you don't factor in bonus points, third place will get 9 (placement) + 2 (advancement) = 11 points and 5th will get 5 (placement) + either 1.5 or 2 (advancement, depending on when loss happens) = 6.5/7 points.

az_wrestler

Yep 5-match rule, only way they can get the tournaments done in 1 day.
didnt have to be 1day...div 4 isnt, just like sectionals , they could use different host sites for each Div. u cant attend another divisional state tournament anyways.- Limited to only 2 or 4 spectators per wrestler.

az_wrestler

So the only wrestlers that have a shot at third or fourth are the losing semi finalist, meaning someone that has a tough seed and has a lose in the first or second round can only finish as high as fifth?
look at D4 132 good example of how dumb this decision is to place semifinal loss automatically in for 3-4th, those kids would have been shafted at a higher placement, knowingly they could beat the 3rd place finisher. Casillas came all the way back from his first loss to place 4th....wow great job..would have only been 6th if he was D1,2,3. Orona takes 3rd after losing in the quarters..nope 5th for you