Freestyle Wrestling Season

az_wrestler

Any news on a potential 2021 freestyle season? Might be late in the year already
looks like just a few tourneys then STATE..wow Attendance seems low compared to past...is it covid or lack of interest?
Qualifiers had only 1 person in a wt class..thoughts

Coach D

Can you post the dates for the tournaments or post the link? I cant find them on the az freestyle website, poorly maintained or just not updated since last year

jfingd

Staff member
Girls Freestyle state is this Saturday, May 1st, at Mesquite High School. I'm not sure if there will be a boys tournament running at the same time.

May 1st State Girls Tournament and Freestyle for all other ages Mesquite High School

May 8th State Greco Basha HS - 5990 S. Val Vista Dr. Chandler 85249

May 21-22nd State Freestyle Desert Vista HS - 16440 S. 32nd St. Phoenix 85048

jfingd

Staff member
May 1st State Girls Tournament and Freestyle for all other ages Mesquite High School

May 8th State Greco Basha HS - 5990 S. Val Vista Dr. Chandler 85249

May 21-22nd State Freestyle Desert Vista HS - 16440 S. 32nd St. Phoenix 85048
So--to be clear--Mesquite on 5/1 will have a tournament for the other divisions for boys as well?

az_wrestler

Numbers are WAY low..compared to years past..most is 4 in a wt class..some only 1, so make wt and your a freestyle champ..Greco will be the same ..where is this sport headed to?

Coach D

Any clarification as to why boys freestyle state will be a two day event? COVID related? splitting weights to different days?

Dad3wrestlers

hard work, pays off
I love the open gyms and the great wrestling that you get at those events and love the coaches and schools putting those on. But, if you want USA wrestling to grow in AZ you have to support those saturday tournaments, $20 is a little pricey (when my boys started it was $5) but mine is a ref and he enjoys doing it, plus i only have one, if you have 3 kids or more wrestling that gets pricey every weekend. Love the weekend wars during summer and try to get up there as much as possible. Freestyle state has always been 2 days (from when my kids started) usually do 6U, 8U, 10U and 12U on Friday and the rest on Saturday.