Sunnyside vs Ironwood Ridge!

East Valley

I can't wait to hear about this one tomorrow. If Ironwood Ridge has 2 ffts at the bigger weights that could be trouble? If that is the case (At Sunnyside) this could will come down to the wire.

Coach P

I copied this from another thread....so just wanted add some more info on each match.....The score really doesn't represent how intense this was.
IR 34 SS 22 FINAL

145, 152, 160 1st period pins for IR (SS did not have Tellez in the line up???? not sure why, he wasn't even dressed out, not saying he would have beat Taylor at 145, but it would probably not be a pin for bonus team points. SS had Freshman fill in at 152 and 160, I think I only saw 3/4 seniors in the line up (IR has about 7/8), and a whole lot of young talent 9/10 for SS)
18-0

SS wins 5-1? ( I think the score was a bit higher, someone check track? I will guess it was 9-3) Frias (SS) controlled this match against IR and probably should have gotten more points, if not the pin, but he gassed. Really strong kid, but needs some lungs.
18-3

IR wins in OT (Very close, as IR gassed toward the end. SS kid is good and turned it on toward the end to tie it up, but IR held on for the win during a scramble in OT.)
21-3

195 SS gets forfeit
21-9

SS gets pin (Deatherage(SS) looks really tough, but a little small for 220) First period pin.
21-15

HWT
SS wins 3-0? SS freshman Hwy (Monreal) pulls out the upset at only about 210#. Watch out for this little giant!
21-18

SS wins dec (Close match, decided by 2 or 3 points), Garcia (SS) looks small, but definitely tough)
21-21

Vega maj Dec Loaiza (Vega dominated 18-9???, Almost all of Loaiza's points were giving by letting him up, surprise, surprise)....but apparently, Vega said a few words to Loaiza after the end of the match and the two had to be separated by the coaches near the scores table....(no team point or warnings given)
25-21

Bravo dec Castillo (Bravo came into the match very aggressive, and although got the first take down, it seemed way tougher than he imagined and took much of his energy. He still dominated, but SS really needed some bonus points here. He was up 8-0 but seemed tired and gave up an escape and one reversal in the third. I think the score was 9-3. Castillo (IR) is the real deal and will be a state contender this year.

25-24

Kline dec Salazar (Kline dropped to 126 and dominated....as he probably will all year) This might have been a state finals match....we will see.
9-2
28-24 (at this point the gym was intense as SS climbed back into the match and had a chance to take it at home)

132 Klass dec Hernadez (The deciding match) Laguna was at the match but not dressed out??? this might have made the difference in the outcome of the match. Not counting Hernandez out at all. That kid is really tough. Actual score was 4-3, with Klass barely hanging on at the end.
4-2

Hernadez loses 2 team points, 1 for slapping IR coach's hand and then 1 taking his straps off on the mat (This was just inexcusable by Hernandez....he is known for having rage fits after losing match....but he is senior now, and wrestled really tough, so this needs to be kept under control, come on kid!)

31-22

138 Calzadillas dec Salazar (Most uneventful match of the night)....Fredo did not look confident and should have been more offensive, but not taking it away from Salazar...He can hold his own.
1-0

34-22 Final

GREAT MATCH!!!!! Still very early in the Season to make a huge prediction about state but IR and MMV are definitely the front runners. Next weeks match will be the best of the year with MMV vs IR. Now hypothetically speaking, after Xmas, with Loaiza at 108, Alcantara at 115, Laguna at 134, Hernandez/Salazar at 140, Tellez at 147 for SS....things that make you go hmmmm......

East Valley

Thanks Coach P!
Mtn View & IR will be a great duel next week! Actually they will see each other 4 times this year. Duel, Reno, The Clash & Flowing Wells. All the teams will get tougher come January too!