Winter Season Cancelled

acestallion

Just feel bad for all the kids out there, who have been busting their butts in practice the past couple months (or longer), and for it to just end like this. The AIA kept stringing all them along, even though they knew this was coming.

giark65

Maybe some know, but to have an expedited PCR test for COVID, for those who need immediate results, costs $169 and insurance doesn't cover. The death rate for COVID is 0.03 percent. These MANDATES are outrageous. There is no pandemic. People are getting sick but few are dying. Meanwhile, Ducey's wealth increases, his son ignores his father's mandates and small businesses are being shut down. Let alone school systems that have isolated and decentralized the age population least susceptible to get the virus. Spoke with brother-in-law, a sheriff in Pima County. Suicides have escalated to 3+ a day whereas before only a few a week. When will the tyranny end?

jd2745428

So many kids have been working their entire lives for this sport. Growing up, they were taught to train for the state tournament, and to hear that season is canceled is devastating. Especially for seniors who have been working harder than ever for their last shot at state. Wrestlers aren't forced to wrestle. Since it is voluntary, high schoolers should be allowed to wrestle. It is hard to understand why one match a day isn't allowed when there have been multiple national tournaments with thousands of kids across the nation. I thought the AIA cared about these kids and their dreams, but I guess I was wrong.

HSMom

What are the laws? Can private clubs host tournaments? Private Invitational for juniors and seniors by state rank? Sure it’s not “states” but it is a “club” tournament that they can put on NCSA. Can’t we do SOMETHING for these kids? Put up a wrestling mat in a large outdoor space? :) I know, I’m grasping. But can we????

HSMom

I can't believe comments after what i posted. Wake up. Ducey is ordering mandates for financial profit. And all of you sheep are trying to work around his bullshit mandates. Seriously. There are lawsuits pending relative to his self serving orders.
I can't believe comments after what i posted. Wake up. Ducey is ordering mandates for financial profit. And all of you sheep are trying to work around his bullshit mandates. Seriously. There are lawsuits pending relative to his self serving orders.

So what are the damn mandates and how does it affect private club wrestling?

Coachdoerr

So many kids have been working their entire lives for this sport. Growing up, they were taught to train for the state tournament, and to hear that season is canceled is devastating. Especially for seniors who have been working harder than ever for their last shot at state. Wrestlers aren't forced to wrestle. Since it is voluntary, high schoolers should be allowed to wrestle. It is hard to understand why one match a day isn't allowed when there have been multiple national tournaments with thousands of kids across the nation. I thought the AIA cared about these kids and their dreams, but I guess I was wrong.
You are correct about everything.

giark65

What are the laws? Can private clubs host tournaments? Private Invitational for juniors and seniors by state rank? Sure it’s not “states” but it is a “club” tournament that they can put on NCSA. Can’t we do SOMETHING for these kids? Put up a wrestling mat in a large outdoor space? :) I know, I’m grasping. But can we????

My child attends Great Hearts. Like you, they believe some form of competitive athletics should exist under governor Ducey's tyrannical profiteering.

For our high school athletes, our athletics team is hard at work putting together a plan to create a league for this season so that our students can keep practicing and compete against other athletes from across the Great Hearts network and the Phoenix Metro area. As these details are finalized, your Athletic Director will be updating you.
Also note that RMN Events is putting on wrestling venues in January, February and March in Arizona. Each tournament includes on the last day a dual team venue. https://www.rmnevents.com/rmnevents-tournaments#all-tournament-events

Last edited:

MingusCoach

Staff member
On internet-
Miles Wrestling Productions – MWP
Hello to my Arizona wrestling family. MWP is excited and very proud to be holding the Arizona Boys & Girls middle school and High School state wrestling championship at the JW Marriott. This amazing five star Resort has a huge beautiful Grand ballroom. The JW Marriot will be offering discounted rates to all Arizona wrestling family’s. This will be a play and stay AZ state championship. Division1 and 2 will be February 20 and 21st. Division3 and 4 will be February 27th and 28th. We will have more details in the next few days.

Please keep checking the website milesmwp.com

Miles Nuessle

Miles Wrestling Productions ( MWP ) is hosting the Arizona middle school 5st – 8th and High school Boys and Girls Arizona State Wrestling Championships. We will be holding this tournament at the amazing 5 star JW Marriott resort at Desert Ridge. 5350 E Marriot DR Phoenix AZ. Wrestling will take place in there outstanding 36.000 square foot Grand Canyon Ball Room. This will be a stay and play tournament. Wake up form your beautiful hotel room and walk down stars to wrestle. Divisions 1 & 2 will wrestle February 20th & 21st Divisions 3 & 4 will wrestle February 27th & 28th Middle School will happen on February 27th & 28th We are also flirting with this idea at the conclusion of the AZ State tournament on the 28th having a “AZ who’s number one” championships. Please go to the website for more details coming soon. Milesmwp.com

Miles Wrestling Productions (MWP) will be using Track Wrestling and professional score clocks to keep things organized and on time. MWP has hired elite certified referees to make the right calls. Also, PremierMediaService.com will be on hand supplying fantastic event photos, video, and Live Streaming.

Miles Wrestling Productions (M.W.P.) is registering as a 501 C3, We are dedicated to promoting the most exciting and competitive wrestling events in Arizona.

As a former wrestler and a father to an All-American Wrestler, M.W.P. will always approach our events with integrity for our athletes, parents and coaches.

M.W.P. team is very passionate about the sport of wrestling and we look to surpass your expectations with each event.

M.W.P. aims to be the leader in customer satisfaction and we value our customers input. I invite you, to please tell us what you would like to see from our team. Together, we will have the premiere wrestling tournaments in the country.

God Bless,

Miles Nuessle 602 326 3473 Email miles@milesmwp.com Web Site milesmwp.com

giark65

What we know about high school wrestling in 2020-’21: From mask mandates to cancellations, the season will have a much different feel.

upload_2021-1-13_12-11-43.png
On the eve of their first practices, Pennsylvania high school wrestling coaches are grappling this week with a new statewide recommendation that winter athletes wear masks for both practices and competition this upcoming season.

“In wrestling and swimming, there’s a health and safety factor,” Lombardi said. “Getting a hand in that mask in the grasp of a move with torque of a neck is very, very serious. We hope to have some guidance from the Department of Health on those two sports.”

Lombardi said the PIAA’s Sports Medicine Advisory Committee had taken into consideration other potential issues with wearing masks for sports that are heavy on aerobic activity.

Camp Hill wrestling coach Chad Gallaher said he tried wrestling wearing a mask this week and came away from the experience with concerns.

“It was all I could do to breathe with that thing on, and I’m not moving at the same speed as my wrestlers are,” he said. “I think it’s going to create another problem. It was very challenging, to say the least. I think the boys are going to be pulling their masks down trying to catch their air.”

There’s also a potential issue in keeping the mask secure and allowing it to serve its protective purpose, which is far from a guarantee in the flow of a match.

“I’ve tried wrestling with a mask on, but it falls off every time,” Red Land coach Brian Baglio said. “I don’t know how that’s going to fly. It’s ridiculous.”

wrestledoc

I will summarize my interpretation of the newest AIA rules posted after they decided to allow winter sports which are cut and pasted below.
1. Masks/gaiters mandatory at all times, including during wrestling competition
2. Season starts January 18 with 14 days of mandatory practice
3. Any non-school sports competition (effective January 18) results in either a 14 day quarantine or suspension from AIA membership. I interpret this as the wrestlers will have to decide between RMN/Miles events and AIA.this is the Non-School Participation Rule.
4. Dual meets only. These will be completed at the beginning of March. No dates for sectional and state tournaments yet. I imagine these will be the next two weekends to complete everything by spring break vacations.
5. Two family members allowed, BUT local rules will supersede. For example,PIMA county has a rule against more than 50 people indoors. That could eliminate parents if two full varsity and JV teams occupy a single school gym.
6. Local health rules from the county and school district will prevail.

Copy and Pasted from AIA:
All students, coaches and officials will be required to wear a cloth mask or gaiter for the entirety of a game/contest.
Each school will complete the AIA COVID-19 Athlete/Coach Monitoring Form the day of all games/contests and provide a copy to the opposing school prior to the contest.
Up to two parents or legal guardians may attend their student-athlete's home games as allowed by the school and county guidelines.
Any school that violates any of the mandatory modifications, including the COVID-19 Return to Play Form, will lose access to AIA officiating.
All sport modifications are required.
No scrimmages, invitational tournaments or Region tournaments.
No out-of-state competitions.
Must have a minimum of 14 days of practice before any competition.
The 14 day exclusion will apply to student athletes and coaches once a school has begun its official practice, official season of sport. Tryouts may only take place during the season of sport.
The 14 day exclusion will apply to a student athlete or coach who is a member of a high school winter sport team and competes with an outside team/group in the same sport or different sport. For the purposes of this rule a scrimmage would be considered a competition.
Practice with any outside team/group, if staying within that cohort, would not require a 14 day exclusion from the high school team.
Club youth coaches (13 and under) will not fall into the 14 day exclusion rule unless they are involved with out of state tournaments. It is strongly recommended that the coach wear a face covering while coaching that youth club team.
For the 2020-21 school year, the Non-school Participation Rule for winter sports will take effect on January 18, 2021. The Season of Competition begins January 18th for all schools in all winter sports without exception.
Testing is recommended if possible in your county.
Conference Leadership will determine the minimum number of contests required to qualify for the state tournament.
Spiritline:
Student athletes participating in Spiritline may continue to participate with both club/studio and school programs.
Beginning November 30th the 14 day exclusion will apply, if:
A student athlete participates in Conventions or Master Classes that pull various clubs/studios (cohorts) together to participate at the same time.
A student athlete participates in any in-person competition that pulls various clubs/studios (cohorts) together at the same time.
Spring sports season begins March 1, 2021

Coachdoerr

I will summarize my interpretation of the newest AIA rules posted after they decided to allow winter sports which are cut and pasted below.
3. Any non-school sports competition (effective January 18) results in either a 14 day quarantine or suspension from AIA membership. I interpret this as the wrestlers will have to decide between RMN/Miles events and AIA.this is the Non-School Participation Rule.
4. Dual meets only. These will be completed at the beginning of March. No dates for sectional and state tournaments yet. I imagine these will be the next two weekends to complete everything by spring break vacations.
5. Two family members allowed, BUT local rules will supersede. For example,PIMA county has a rule against more than 50 people indoors. That could eliminate parents if two full varsity and JV teams occupy a single school gym.

All students, coaches and officials will be required to wear a cloth mask or gaiter for the entirety of a game/contest.
Each school will complete the AIA COVID-19 Athlete/Coach Monitoring Form the day of all games/contests and provide a copy to the opposing school prior to the contest.
Up to two parents or legal guardians may attend their student-athlete's home games as allowed by the school and county guidelines.
Any school that violates any of the mandatory modifications, including the COVID-19 Return to Play Form, will lose access to AIA officiating.
The 14 day exclusion will apply to student athletes and coaches once a school has begun its official practice, official season of sport. Tryouts may only take place during the season of sport.
The 14 day exclusion will apply to a student athlete or coach who is a member of a high school winter sport team and competes with an outside team/group in the same sport or different sport. For the purposes of this rule a scrimmage would be considered a competition.
Practice with any outside team/group, if staying within that cohort, would not require a 14 day exclusion from the high school team.
Club youth coaches (13 and under) will not fall into the 14 day exclusion rule unless they are involved with out of state tournaments. It is strongly recommended that the coach wear a face covering while coaching that youth club team.
For the 2020-21 school year, the Non-school Participation Rule for winter sports will take effect on January 18, 2021. The Season of Competition begins January 18th for all schools in all winter sports without exception.
Conference Leadership will determine the minimum number of contests required to qualify for the state tournament.
Spiritline:
Student athletes participating in Spiritline may continue to participate with both club/studio and school programs.
A student athlete participates in Conventions or Master Classes that pull various clubs/studios (cohorts) together to participate at the same time.
A student athlete participates in any in-person competition that pulls various clubs/studios (cohorts) together at the same time.
AIA is scared that

Spiritline:
i will keep my comments about AIA to myself but I do want to make a comment. If the mask thing works so well than there should be no limit to fans in the stands just my opinion