2015-16 Division 3 Pre-Season Rankings

ESlabaugh

Some thoughts from the Amphi-Safford Dual (11/24 @ Catalina HS):

Safford 53, Amphi 21

-Amphi looks pretty young/inexperienced up until Aldiva (145). Will they be able to get some point scorers at state from the lower weights?

-Aldiva wrestled Rios at 145, maybe he drops later. It was a tight 4-3 battle, lots of wrestling on the edge, a few finishes for both guys just out of bounds. Looks like a potential state finals match if Aldiva were to stay up.

-Forfeits for Andrews (Safford - 152) and Payan (Amphi - 160). Once Payan drops, should be a barn burner.

-At 170, Paredes wrestled up a weight after weighing in at 160.0. It was back and forth, both wrestlers not in fantastic shape at this point, with Paredes eventually getting the pin against Manyfield.

-Rodriguez looks good at 195.

-At 220, Umphres from Safford controlled the match well, ended up beating Gonzales 7-1.

-At 285, Sanchez was up 5-1 at the end of the first, but completely shut it down and ended up being DQ'd for stalling against Romero with about 30 seconds left.

CVCougar

They didn't have many point scorers lat year and still finished as runners up. They will place 5 or 6, but all of them will place pretty high. To beat them, someone will need a lot of placers. Williams Field might have enough depth. Chino and Show Low come from the toughest section and will not bring as many point scorers to the show.

ESlabaugh

I agree, Amphi is going to get a ton of points from their horses. I just think their margin for error is extremely slim, given their lack of potential scorers in the lower weights. It will be interesting to see how many scorers come through for each team given the greater size of the D3 sectionals. It should be a relatively low scoring year, which I think favors a team like Amphi, but an injury or upset will effect them more than some of the teams with better overall depth.

CVCougar

Well said Coach Slabaugh. The team that stays healthy and brings more state qualifiers will be the favorite. I think that Williams Field, Chino, Show Low, and Safford all should be bringing good numbers to state, but will need to upset some of Amphi's studs, if they want to come a way with a team title. It should be a fun tournament that will come down to the heavyweight finals.