2016-2017 Initial Conference Placements

Allazallstars

If they kept those 7 regions of about 6 teams each.

What would be the best way to determine who qualifies for the state tournament?

Especially if the state tournament was kept at a 16 man bracket?

CVCougar

With only 42 teams in each division, it seems hard to justify qualifying more than 16 kids for the state tournament, but you know some studs would get left out as the #3 from certain divisions. Maybe take the top 2 from each division and have a round earlier in the week with the 7 #3's battling it out for the 2 extra spots. My question is how many kids are qualifying for the small school tournament. I know not all 132 teams have a wrestling program, but it looks like at least 70 teams do. It certainly needs to be the top 3 from 6 divisions with a couple of pigtail matches.

scout

This will effectively kill wrestling in the smaller schools.
You will have schools like Mogollon (a traditionally good wrestling school) with an enrollment of 100-150 kids competing against the likes of Show Low/Safford/Payson with enrollments around 900.
It is a very real possibility that many of the 1a schools will never qualify a wrestler for the state tournament under these circumstances. See how long schools like Joseph City and Hayden hold on to their wrestling programs under these divisions.
From the smallest school in 4a to the top school in 5a it is just over 2x in population size, and that's the bottom to the top across 2 Divisions....contrast that to the "3a" you have Joseph City competing against schools literally 8x their size! 80 something schools in 3a, 30 something schools in 4a. Crazy.

Allazallstars

If my numbers are correct after all the appeals are finished:

6A = 41 Teams
5A = 42 Teams
4A = 41 Teams
123A = 73 Teams

Allazallstars

Does anyone know anything more about this?

All I have seen on the AIA website is that team sports are done, but that individual sports like wrestling will be done at a later date.

Does that mean individual sports and team sports will have different conferences like they do now in a lot of sports?

Thanks

CVCougar

The Divisions are now set D6 being the big schools. I imagine that the sections will look a lot like the other sports except for D3, D2, and D1. It looks like the D1-D3 schools will compete in 1 tournament, so I don't know how they will divide up the sections or how many will qualify for state.

scout

Divisions are NOT set for wrestling. I believe wrestling is going to stay very similar to what we have now (thankfully) with 4 divisions being distributed equally. This is what I'm being told anyway, I certainly hope it is the case. I realize the literature on aia online contradicts this, but from what I was told they will leave wrestling the way it is.

Allazallstars

The same divisions we have right now?

or balancing them based on their 2015 enrollments?

That would put about 49 teams in each division with one division having 50 teams.