5) Gonzales (Amphi) 11
6) Umphres (Safford) 10

HWT- 1) Carter (Williams Field) 12
2) Sanchez (Amphi) 12
3) Romero (Safford)
4) Richardson (Page) 11
5) Uhling (Apache Jnc) 12
6) Cardenas (Coolidge)

Most seem legit. But the 152 & 160 I don't quite see the logic unless these are numbers rankings and not logical rankings. How can Kyle Robbins be that low when he only lost to Swift (who will beat anybody), and he went up a weight class just to wrestle him. Robbins won Peoria which pound for pound was just as tough as Flowing Wells this year. So to be behind those other guys, I just don't see it. At 160, well, Halstead went back up to 170. But, even if he didn't, he only has one loss this year to Frias of Sunnyside. He won Moon Valley, 2nd at Peoria, and won Mohave. I don't think those other guys have been battle tested like that only to have one loss. Also he is a returning state runner up, that beat the state champ that beat a guy you have ranked over him last year. So, I dunno, guess there is a formula used I don't know about when ranking.

CVCougar

I moved Robbins up based on the fact that he beat the Basha kid that beat Henderson. I know that you put a lot of weight on him being a D1 placer last year, but he will have his hands full in a stacked weight class. Not much separating 1-4 at 152's. As far as Halstead at 160's, he is a runner-up that is ranked behind another runner-up who was beat handily by a returning 3rd in state. Looking at his matches, I don't see how you would say he is more battle tested than the 2 ahead of him. You put a lot of emphasis on Peoria and Flowing Wells, but I would put some of the weight classes at Doc Wright and Mile High right up with those tournaments. If Halstead does move back up to 170, he would slip back into #1 where he has been all year long, but he still will have his hands full with Coffin and Webb. thanks for the feedback.

ESlabaugh

Great job on the rankings, Coach. I've got some info about some of the teams down here that I think is relevant.

At 132, word is that Christian Felix (Pueblo) is out for the year after suffering a dislocated elbow.

At 138, Philip Grajeda (Walden Grove) is supposed to be back from knee surgery sometime next week. He's a 2 x placer, not sure what kind of shape he's in, maybe just a name to watch out for.

At 160-170, Austin Henry (Empire) looks like he'll end up at 152, while Justin Shorbe (Flowing Wells) has been at 160 the last few weeks.

At 182, Sebastian Mordecai (Flowing Wells) is (I think) being held out because of the transfer rule. He hasn't wrestled a match all year.

Coach P

I thought Mordecai wrestled a few matches this year. I know a Salpointe wrestler who told me he wrestled him at a dual at 182....hmmm.....will FW receive an AIA notice as well, or do they just pick on SS. Or maybe it was just an exhibition match. Not sure. Probably just an exhibition match. This kid too well known to sneak under the radar.....

I'm not saying that any tournament was any tougher than any other, because every tournament has certain weight classes that can rival the other. I'm talking about how the Chino kid at 160 has 3 losses and Halstead only had one. In regards to the tough Mile High tournament you were referring to, the Chino wrestler got pinned by a kid from Willow Canyon. Graham from Thunderbird got 2nd at Mile High. Halstead beat Graham this year. So how can a kid that placed behind a guy, that has a loss to a kid that beat him....be placed higher. That's all I was saying. But, Halstead is back to 170's now so it doesn't really matter. All I'm doing is trying to take a little "home cooking" out of the rankings and keep legitimacy to them at the same time. Thanks for your work on these rankings.

CVCougar

"Home Cooking"?? If you knew how much time I spent on these ranking to try and put out a fair and valid ranking, you would feel guilty about making stupid comments like that. I continually ask for input on these forums, but I usually only get input when some butt hurt mom or dad takes to azwrestler to complain. I also have been called out for under ranking my own kids so that they fly under the radar, so which is it? Medevielle beat the #1 seed handily, and is certainly deserving. I am sure Halstead is a bad A** and that an argument could be made for him too. If he is really moving back to 170's, he will get the nod, just like he has all season at 170. Good luck to your kid, and as always, I appreciate any positive input to help me with the rankings.

My last post was going to be my last until you said "stupid". First off, come down the I-17 a bit more and you would know who I am and that Halstead is not my kid. Secondly, if Thunderbird was still D-3, I am certain you would have Graham ranked #1 at 160 considering he placed higher at Mile High than Medevielle did. So, if Halstead beat Graham, and decided to stay at 160, wouldn't that make Halstead the #1 ranked at 160. You forget to mention that I also brought up Robbins from Chavez at 152, which you did change. Me personally, could care 2 pennies about the rankings except that the kids look at them and like to see it. State tournament takes care of all human internet forum fallacies. But, when someone brings up a valid point, with numbers and facts to match, where a kids win percentage, tournament schedule, and who he has beaten is obviously worthy of #1 ranking at 160 and 170 and I see "stupid". Well, at that point, I just keep posting more facts so whomever reads it can judge for themselves. Keep Rankin' Em' Coach!

CVCougar

You're offended that I called your "Home Cooking" comment stupid? What response would you like to a comment like that? Everyone further down the I-17 can rest easy now that Halstead is back at #1 at 170. But using your "facts", he should be #2 because he lost to Sunnyside, who lost to Basha, who lost to Chino. He gets the nod because he is a returning state placer. I would love to see how different your "factually based" rankings would be from mine. I would gladly erase my thread and replace it with yours. I will wait anxiously, until then this coach will keep rankin' em'.

tarcon157

Just my own 2 cents... I was at mile high and watched the Chino kid and the willow canyon kid wrestle and Chino had a big lead and had willow on his back for a whole period before he made a little mistake costing him to get pinned however Chino then wrestled him again for 3rd and dominated the whole match again before scoring a pin of his own... and you guys really sparked my interest so I looked back at bracket and Chino pinned kids that the said thunderbird guy struggled with... then looking at the doc wright bracket looks like he blew away the returning state runner up from amphi... seems to me that Chino is the real deal and if you rank a weight class you put highest returning placer first which would be amphi however head to head trumps everything and Chino beat amphi so he gets the bump to 1... common opponent doesn't hold up and means nothing in seeding or rankings ( once I beat Tyler Chang who beat bubba Jenkins who beat David Taylor) so if we go off of your logic I am better than David taylor... see how stupid that sounds... great job with the rankings Coach and thank you for catching my interest with ur guy's post

Coachdoerr

Top teams: Revised 1-18-16

1- Safford
2- Show Low
3-Chino
4-Amphi
5-Williams Field
6-Yuma
7-Tempe
8-Moon Valley
9-Walden Grove
10-Coconino

106- 1)Guerrero (Walden Grove)
2) Martinez (Desert View)
3) Smith (Williams Field)
4) Bateman (Show Low)
5) Hermosillo (Amphi)
6) Ruiz (Yuma)

113- 1) Gracia (Page) 11
2) Cabrera (Coconino) 12
3) Frias (Desert View)
4) Alcantar (Yuma)
5) Tucker (Greenway) 11
6) Williams (Empire) 12

120- 1) Finch (Safford) 9
2) Gonzales (Tempe) 12
3) Koury (Show Low)-11
4) Silva (Walden Grove)
5) Mortensen (Chino)-9
6) Martin (Desert View)

126- 1) Keeney (Payson) 11
2) Foster (Chino) 12
3) Verville (Lee Williams) 11
4) Vasquez (Yuma) 12
5) McKrill (Show Low) 11
6) Basila (Sabino)

132- 1) Aldiva (Amphi) 12
2) Casillas (Tempe)
3) Ramirez (Safford)
4) Nez (Flagstaff) 12
5) Correa (Coronado)
6) Gissel (Williams Field) 11

138- 1) Savage (Tempe) 11
2) Rios (Safford) 12
3) Allen (Show Low)
4) Alcala (San Luis)
5) Grajeda (Walden Grove)
6) Porchas (Yuma)

145- 1) Andrews (Safford) 9
2) Lamoreaux (Williams Field) 12
3) Franco (Coolidge) 12
4) Haile (Yuma) 12
5) Lubean (Moon Valley)
6) Dalcerro (Chino Valley) 12

152- 1) Robbins (Caesar Chavez)
2) Henderson (Blue Ridge)
3) Payan-Diaz (Amphi) 11
4) McClellan (Holbrook) 12
5) Allan (Shadow Ridge)
6) Vizcarra (Safford) 12

160- 1) Medevielle (Chino) 12
2) Paredes (Amphi) 12
3) Manyfield (Safford)
4) Shorbe (Flowing Wells)
5) Zamorano (Coolidge)

170- 1) Halstead (Moon Valley)
2) Coffin (Chino) 12
3) Kilgore (Walden Grove)
4) Webb (Show Low) 11
5) Katner (Shadow Ridge) 12
6) Klaus (Greenway)
7) McKinney (Williams Field) 11

182- 1) Dobell (Coconino) 12
2) Sanford (Safford)
3) Advincula (Greenway)
4) Biehl (Moon Valley)
5) Conway (Williams Field)
6) Lemcke (Chino)

195- 1) Rodriguez (Amphi) 12
2) Wyatt (Show Low) 12
3) Abdula-Aziz (Apache Jnc) 12
4) Majuta (Pueblo)
5) Mahlmeister (Kingman)
6) Larocque (Mohave)

220- 1) Price (Willimas Field) 11
2) Butler (Lake Havasu)
3) Mendez (Caesar Chavez)
4) Sanchez (Chino Valley) 12
5) Gonzales (Amphi) 11
6) Umphres (Safford) 10

HWT- 1) Carter (Williams Field) 12
2) Sanchez (Amphi) 12
3) Romero (Safford)
4) Richardson (Page) 11
5) Uhling (Apache Jnc) 12
6) Cardenas (Coolidge)
They are pretty way off there are many of my wrestlers who have graduated one ore more years and are in the rankings.

Coachdoerr

Not sure how you rank a returning state runner-up 6th. Jonathan Ruiz should be the number 2 at the moment