Possible Event: Need Feedback

A

aaron1126

Hi Coaches and Wrestlers,

For a while now we have thought about putting together a tournament a week or two weeks after that State tournament. Not sure what the title is or would be yet, but "Tournament of Champions" would be the theme.

It would be a INVITE ONLY tournament. A wrestler must place in either 1st, or 2nd in their weight class in their division. The tournament would be an 8-Man Bracket. Not sure about elimination yet, but possibly single elimination. We want to know who is the true champion of each weight class in Arizona. We really want to make sure each wrestler who is invited to compete shows up to wrestle and prove them self.

So if a wrestle made it to the finals at AIA State - they would get their invitation to the event.

This is just a quick summary, but I need to get feedback.

Some question

What would you guys like to see at an event like this?
What should the weight allowance be? 2 - 5 lbs?

Any suggestions please post them here. We really need feedback on this idea for an event.

I am working on a host school, and working on a loaner Mat.

Please post Feedback.

whenndoubtchokemout

"when in doubt, chokem out"
This is a GREAT idea!! The following weekend would be good; a 3 pound allowance is feasible. My questions is "what if the 1st or 2nd place wrestle does not want to wrestle, do you invite the 3rd or 4th placer?

A

aaron1126

Haven't figured that part out yet, we were kind of thinking to publicly announce who does not want to wrestle, or who does not show up.

smalltown

When you pick a date, check there's not an ACT or SAT etc scheduled then. Jrs and Srs will be taking/retaking those and that's a pretty good reason to forgo a tournament.

A

aaron1126

@smalltown we will keep that in mind. The goal of this is to our best to take any excuse from finding out "WHO'S #1" in Arizona.

@whenndoubtchokemout we would really like to keep it the AIA State finalist who get invited. Really hoping everyone wants to participate.

CVCougar

I like the idea. They used to do a North-South match, but it lost steam (or funding?) years ago. I know that Embry Riddle was always on board to host in the past. A Phoenix school might work better since everyone gripes about driving to PV for state. I think you might want to consider top 3 since we don't wrestle a true second, because many times the 3 is the better kid. This would also help in the event the #2 didn't want to come. Give all champs a bye, wrestle 2s and 3s first round. I think you will have kids that are cutting really hard, not come because they have ballooned up. Even with 5lbs, many of them won't make the weight. I don't see the need to publicly announce who is not coming though. Just my thoughts.

whenndoubtchokemout

CV Cougar: I think you make a good point. #2's and #3's wrestle and #1 gets a bye. I still believe 3 pound allowance is good enough. I would prefer a central location in Phoenix or Tempe location. Marketing this type of event is key and making it a "Who's Number One (WNO) ARIZONA-WRESTLING Champion", I would even throw in the fight shorts like FLO does it.

East Valley

I think that is a great idea to do the tournament! Top 3 makes more sense with the AZ seeding criteria. Many times 1 & 2 wrestle in the semis. Great idea!!

bayoubadger

I like the idea. One thing to keep in mind is that the kids will not, per the AIA, be able to wear their school equipment (singlet) as it is not an in season tournament. Maybe you could do something like Flo does and give them singlets.

A

aaron1126

Definitely will be a school located in the Phoenix area, or very close to it.

We are pushing for single elimination, but we will have to see how that plays out.

Really appreciate all the feedback guys, if you have more please feel free. Have about 2 months to plan this out if it happens this season and get invitations printed, awards figured out etc..

I think a 3lbs allowance is great, even for a wrestler cutting hard (which I don't know how that is still happening given all the new rules that are in place)

How much weight can a wrestler gain in 7 days...? (real weight, not water weight)

az_wrestler

Now for the Negative-- This concept has been tried many times with failure..who remembers boarder wars or I think ASU tried to have a tourney like this. results were no one showed or wanted to participate..alot of coaches didn't want their wrestlers to compete..i don't know the whole story , but it looked great as an idea but it never panned out.You will never see a roman-bravo vs vega ..look how long to see a vega vs Courtney..it was at a national tourney...and "choke em out" can you do the returners for div II and III like u did for div I...that was cool...if this tourney pans out great...

A

aaron1126

@az_wrestler yes you are right. But this event would be invitation only and it would be hand delivered at the AIA State tournament. It would be ran very official, not just spread the word and hey tell your friends. This would be a hand delivered fancy invitation - and you would need your invitation to weigh in. (like "blood sport")

Why would Coaches not want their kids to wrestle?

If I was a coach my philosophy would be go prove yourself to Arizona.

whenndoubtchokemout

It would be nice to hear from some ranked wrestlers and HS coaches to see where they stand on this. Would they come out? Coaches for it or not? Personally this needs to take place so we can see who are the #1's in AZ.

whenndoubtchokemout

az_wrestler if its okay with swingsingle and CVCougar (who put together the D-2 & D-3 rankings) I can add the D-2/D-3 returning champions and placers

MingusCoach

Staff member
I fully support this concept. Invite top three, give 5 pound allowance, one loss and your out that way seeding won't matter, 2's and 3's meet from opposite divisions, all 1's get a bye first round, should be done in Phoenix area, per AIA rules you can not title them as state Champion but you can title them as All Arizona Champion.

TUMBLEWEED

as great as it sounds... once the season is over, no one will ever get ALL top 3 placers / coaches to commit.

is there any possibility of petitioning to the AIA and making this an official tournament as part of the season?

top 4 from each division make a 16 man bracket.

i believe this would help the state as a whole

thorobred

I like the idea! Maybe start off with 1st and 2nd place the first year or two with a single elimination. Possibly, the 2 losers in semi's wrestling for 3rd. Super State or Tournament of Champions (TOC).

whenndoubtchokemout

TUMBLEWEED said:
as great as it sounds... once the season is over, no one will ever get ALL top 3 placers / coaches to commit.

is there any possibility of petitioning to the AIA and making this an official tournament as part of the season?

top 4 from each division make a 16 man bracket.

i believe this would help the state as a whole
Stay away from the AIA

smalltown

I like Tumbleweed's ideas of a 16 man double elim bracket. It's a familiar format, can get it done in 1 day, and who's to say in any given bracket that the top 3 or 4 in the state may actually come from 1 division. I think the big issue will be adequate inducements to get people to come. Families who just put out a bucket of money to go to state may not be willing/able to travel again.