Region placements next year

Coach Pat

I know people have already been talking about the regional placements and the change back to a class A system. I see already that some sports like boys volleyball are making adjustments base on how many schools have the sport. Does anyone know when we will know for certain what the wrestling regional alignments will be and what the finalized wrestling divisions will look like?

chingon76

Staff member
I keep hearing that these will "be it"
If anything changes I hope they let everyone know asap

East Valley

So if I understand this correctly. The classes are already set. It's the regions that are still being discussed. Right?

Allazallstars

I have heard that they might not change anything for wrestling. And if they are changing it might just be a shuffling of a few teams.

The AIA executive meeting Tuesday voted for individual sports like wrestling to stay with the Division and Section model that we are currently using.

CVCougar

Why wouldn't they change it for wrestling? It is completely screwed up right now and needs fixed. I think it is bogus to let schools petition down a division or 2 so that they can be competitive. Now D3 has 15 teams in each section and they still only have a one day sectional tournament. This means that in some instances wrestlers will not be able to wrestle for 3rd and 4th and they just split points. That is stupid. I sure hope they ask for wrestling coaches input (from all divisions) before they decide to do anything.

Coach Pat

I know for 5A in Tucson, Marana did not want to be in the same region as Marana Mountain View, so they swapped Marana and Sahuaro. So 5A Tucson regions look like this:
Ironwood Ridge, Mountain View, Cienega, Sahuaro Buena

Poston Butte, Cholla, Flowing Wells, Marana, Desert View

chingon76

Staff member
I hate the politics of it all... it always seems that if you "know" someone at the AIA you will get your complaints heard. They should have a vote from head coaches / Athletic directors.

In the end: If it's going to be about population of a school, then it should apply to all the sports at your school. If you are awesome at basketball and suck at wrestling... too bad. Hard work pays off with our sport. I've seen D3 or D4 wrestlers beat D1 studs.

My wish: I just want fairness. We should have balance in the divisions. Some of the sections are basically the state finals :)
I don't think a couple of squeaky wheels should be heard over the majority needs of the majority of coaches / teams.

Coach Pat

If regions end up staying the same, I'm wondering if we could petition for a second state qualifying tournament. You know, have a regional tournament where the top two or three go to a super regional that is two regions combined. Or maybe have the regional as a seeding tournament for a super regional where the 1's from each region are 1&2 and take top 4 from a super regional.

issue number one is numbers in each region,
in 6A the sections are kind of even with 6 or 7 teams
for 5A there is a region with 4 teams and one with 8
and 4A ranges from 4 to 7
I know that they are trying to make things geographical, which is the best way to do things in high school, but some teams might need to travel a little bit to compete, other wise all you have to do is make weight and your good.
now there are 8 regions in each A, so if we go to a three tournament state series, regions, sections(two regions together), then state with the top 4 from each moving on then that works in my mind.

Coach_EFHS

The AIA has proposed that the individual sports stay with the current format for at least the 2016-17 season.
DI- 41 Schools
DII- 50
DIII- 49
DIV- 60

Coach Pat

Talked to Dean Visser tonight at state. He said the sections and divisions will pretty much stay the same.

Wrestlers

Cougar,
Can you please clarify...sections and divisions will stay the same as what? (What they are now with 4 divisions?)

Coach Pat

The classA system is for team sports only. Individual sports like wrestling will remain the way they are now with four divisions. He said they may adjust the division's due to enrollment next year but they should pretty much be the same, with four sections per division.