Sectionals

devilfan

Sectionals are this weekend. Anyone have any info, thoughts or predictions? Have the seeding meetings taken place and if so, is that info available anywhere?

East Valley

From what I heard. If the coaches input their kids info right. (Good luck) then Trackwrestling will automatically look up head to head & seed the sections. I think the coaches are verifying to make sure?

East Valley

So far on D1 just Sections 1 & 3

For Chandler no Jason Holmes or Quincy Reece. That leaves 106 wide open!

devilfan

Participation numbers are really low in Section 3 with only Mountain View and Desert Ridge having wrestlers in all 14 weights. Among the other 6 teams, there are 21 slots with no one entered. By contrast Section one only has 6 missing wrestlers, Sections 2 and 4 are each missing 16.

With 4 wrestlers going to state per class, Ironwood Ridge and Sunnyside should both get large numbers through, but that means there are going to be a lot really tough wrestlers coming out of that Section unseeded for state. Mt. View should qualify 12-13 (I think they could have trouble getting the 285 through. (I'm not sure what happened to the 285 pounder who wrestled first semester, but he had more size and a bit more success than the current heavyweight has had.)

Aside from the MTV duals against Sunnyside and Ironwood Ridge, I've primarily watched teams from this Section. Anyone have predictions on the number of qualifiers the contenders from the other Sections will have?

chingon76

Staff member
I know we've been plagued by failing grades / ineligibility. We are trying so hard to make "champions in everything we do" a mantra in our wrestlers. It's tough. I wonder why the open spots are in these D1 teams? Same issues we experience? Lower participation numbers? Injuries? Skin Infections?

Inquiring Coaching Minds Want to Know :)

East Valley

Since we can only see sections 1 & 3 at the moment I'll focus there. Section 3 was the toughest section (State placers & champions) last year. This year they are down. Not sure why? Logic would suggest that is a good thing for Mtn View. Sunnyside & IR are in (I believe) the toughest section this year with few missing weights. (Section 1) This would suggest that it will be tougher for them to get all their guys in. Chandler not having Reece & Holmes opens up 2 spots though in section 1. With a lot of teams having good lightweights it appears that the big boys may carry the day? I think of the top 3 from FW (SS, IR & Mtn View) the team that gets the most big men into state will have the advantage. I've researched head to heads in both sections & the way they are bracketed (Currently) my guess is Mtn View gets 13-14 in, SS & IR get 10-11 in. (SS only entered 13) How many of those are in the top 2 & get seeded will also make a difference.