Flowing Wells-- who's going? What matches to watch?

Coach P

Who is Americas, from El Paso??? They seem to have some great records on some of their kids....in particular, there is a kid at 128 who is something like 37-1, probably gonna wrestle Salazar (SS) in the quarters????

CVCougar

I think Amphi is going to Doc Wright to see more of their divisional competition and I think they want the head to heads for state seeding. The Flowing Wells lineup still looks pretty darn tough and Doc Wright is certainly no cake walk. It is an extremely well run tournament too.

johns_dad

Seeding criteria, HA!!!! You should be out here; it’s almost always based off last year’s results.

Ohio wrestles a lot of 1 day pool tournaments. You can be 30-0 but if you don’t have any seeding criteria from last year you will be randomly drawn in to a pool and can run into a state placer (out here that’s a big deal) lose a match by 1 point and the best you can do is 5th.

Trust me I’ve after running into that I’ve no longer got any complaints about seeding.

chingon76

Staff member
johns_dad said:
Seeding criteria, HA!!!! You should be out here; it’s almost always based off last year’s results.

Ohio wrestles a lot of 1 day pool tournaments. You can be 30-0 but if you don’t have any seeding criteria from last year you will be randomly drawn in to a pool and can run into a state placer (out here that’s a big deal) lose a match by 1 point and the best you can do is 5th.

Trust me I’ve after running into that I’ve no longer got any complaints about seeding.
Wow that's wild!
That info is good to know. I'm glad we aren't the only state facing such dilemmas

johns_dad

It happens to kids out here every weekend. Everybody has accepted the practice and just live with it.

Here's another one which is kind of shocking.

One of the tougher pool tournaments is this weekend where about 25 teams are invited. It's split into Varsity (16 kids) and JV (all the rest) divisions but you don't know which division you'll end up in. They use the standard seeding criteria and then fill in the top 16 from the best in season records. If you're in a weight class with 16 kids with seeding criteria you could be undefeated and end up in the JV side.

johns_dad

And one other thing, head to head match-up are irrelevant. If a wrestler has even the lowest seeding criteria and you have none, they get the higher seed.

Unless it is a bracketed tournament there are only 4 seeds. In the pool tournaments there are 4 seeds, one to each pool, the rest of the field is random draw into the pools.

So stop complaining about a guy with a couple losses to tougher competition getting a lower seed to an undefeated wrestler against inferior competition. It could be worse.

az_wrestler

after looking on track wrestling at the semi finals...most of the brackets have the #1,2,3 and 4 seeds...108 is a perfect example...anyone find where the seeds were wrong or are not in the semi finals...

East Valley

I think the Flowing Wells seeds turned out pretty well. Congrats to Ironwood Ridge for gutting out a great win. It was also nice to see coach Berrier get Coach of the year too. It will be a dogfight at State for sure!