Freshman Phenoms

RankWrestlers

Watch out for these guys! Here are the highest ranked freshmen in early wrestling this year.
  • Kelby Flowers (Willcox)
  • Keller Rock (Chino Valley)
  • Jesse Ybarra (Sunnyside)
  • Mark Prado (Shadow Ridge)
  • Matthew Stevenson (Thunderbird)
  • Aaron Gandara (Cibola)
  • Cael Figueroa (Highland)
  • Rodrigo Saenz Payan (Williams Field)
  • Korben Uhler (Camp Verde)
There are others off to a great start, but these guys, in particular, have lodged some huge wins already and will be forces throughout the next four years!

Last edited by a moderator:

JapaneseWizard

Watch out for these guys! Here are the highest ranked freshmen in early wrestling this year.
  • Kelby Flowers (Willcox) 106
  • Keller Rock (Chino Valley) 145
  • Jesse Ybarra (Sunnyside) 106
  • Mark Prado (Shadow Ridge) 120
  • Matthew Stevenson (Thunderbird) 145
  • Aaron Gandara (Cibola) 160
  • Cael Figueroa (Highland) 106
  • Rodrigo Saenz Payan (Williams Field) ???
  • Korben Uhler (Camp Verde) 126
There are others off to a great start, but these guys, in particular, have lodged some huge wins already and will be forces throughout the next four years!

I looked them up on track wrestling. Not sure about accuracy.

az_wrestler

Ybarra in the Finals at Peoria and Flowing Wells 108
Gandara Cibola has Beaten Dolce FW Champ from CDS at the Freakshow
Chris Kelly 5th at Battle for the belt....108
Ortiz from mountain view beat Flowers from Wilcox...both freshman 108
Please feel free to add more....

az_wrestler

Final freshman Phenoms: what they placed at State
State Champions-
Uhler div 4
Rock div 3
Ybarra div 1
Crosby div 4
Goodwin div 4
Runner -up Gandara div 1, Avelar div 2, Kelly div 1
3rd Prado div 2
4th Ortiz div 2, Stevenson div 3
5th Gerber div 2
that clarify...Sorry if I missed anyone...please add.

Last edited:

Da dude

Final freshman Phenoms:
State Champions-
Uhler
Rock
Ybarra
Crosby
Runner -up Gandara, Avelar, Kelly
3rd Prado
4th Ortiz
5th Gerber
Sorry if I missed anyone...please add
How many of them actually won state and placed in division 1 or 2 where there's competition?

SPRAWL

How many of them actually won state and placed in division 1 or 2 where there's competition?
Wow! That's really an ignorant question, considering all the quality D3 and D4 wrestlers that have beaten D1 and D2 competition all season. Basically an insult to the level of competition in D3 & D4. Granted Sunny Side and CDS are very successful programs, but Show Low, Safford, Walden Grove, Thunderbird, Morenci, Camp Verde and St. Johns are also consistently very competitive.

Da dude

Wow! That's really an ignorant question, considering all the quality D3 and D4 wrestlers that have beaten D1 and D2 competition all season. Basically an insult to the level of competition in D3 & D4. Granted Sunny Side and CDS are very successful programs, but Show Low, Safford, Walden Grove, Thunderbird, Morenci, Camp Verde and St. Johns are also consistently very competitive.
If you go off of the lists above you will find that there are more D-1, D-2 freshman that won or placed at State then D-3, & D-4. "More competitive" is all. Not taking anything away from the other athletes in the other divisions. And yes there were some wrestlers that did beat some D-1 & 2 division athletes. But if you simply go off of kids that are highly ranked in the state and in my opinion more important, have national credentials, most of them are out of D-1 & 2 schools. Sometimes Arizona wrestling is biased over certain kids that haven't really proven themselves to top level competition.

CVCougar

Division 1 certainly has more depth, but there is no difference between D2 and D3. Show Low would have given Marana Mtn. View a heck of a run, and the depth of talent in the state tournament is pretty equal. I think D3 tends to have better lighter weights and D2 tends to be better at the big weights. All of those freshman listed above are the real deal, regardless of division.

Coach Pat

Division 1 certainly has more depth, but there is no difference between D2 and D3. Show Low would have given Marana Mtn. View a heck of a run, and the depth of talent in the state tournament is pretty equal. I think D3 tends to have better lighter weights and D2 tends to be better at the big weights. All of those freshman listed above are the real deal, regardless of division.
In fact, Show Low almost beat Marana Mt View in the finals of the Mt View Duals. Granted Mt View didn't have a couple of their studs in the lineup, but it was still a great dual and proof that a lot of those smaller schools can hang with the bigger schools

Da dude

I agree wrstlingfan#1. I believe Ybarra's summer leading up to his freshman year was a good indication of how well he was gonna do. Not 100% certain but I think he was a schoolboy national runner up.

Da dude

And I don't think show Low can hang either. In my opinion D1 & 2 have the most depth and competition. I believe if D-3 or a D-4 school want to see how they measure up, go to Peoria or Flowing Wells.

Da dude

When kids place/all American at good national tournaments like Tulsa, USA wrestling nationals. You gotta know that there gonna be solid wrestlers. There's gonna be some tough freshmen coming in. And I mentioned that earlier as well, there are more division 1,2 studs that have national credentials then d3, & 4. That's why I think the rankings here and the P4P list is a little bias