Peoria Tournament Of Champions.

whenndoubtchokemout

"when in doubt, chokem out"
Look a little closer at the flier you attached.. why are you paying for admission into each round when you could have purchase a entire day pass?
Also sounds like a personal choice to sit outside the venue for 4 hours.

However I do agree they drag these out way to long. They should have skipped their break and ran another round or two of consultation.

Was a bit disappointed that teams on partisapant list didn’t show..
No Servite CA, Alamosa CO, or queen qreek AZ..
What’s up with that??
Queen Creek was not invited until 2 weeks ago at Moon Valley, a little too late after QC tried to get in for the last 2 years and was told they were not good enough.

Coach Pat

Queen Creek was not invited until 2 weeks ago at Moon Valley, a little too late after QC tried to get in for the last 2 years and was told they were not good enough.
Wow. They were told they weren't good enough? That's crazy. Most tournaments will let you in just for asking. That's too bad. It looks like Peoria is shaping up to compete with Flowing Wells as the toughest tournament in Arizona.

bayoubadger

I agree it said that on the flier. (Yes the pass makes more sense). One couple said just for them both almost $50 for the two days. They couldn’t bring their kids. It’s just a little pricey. In fairness it’s my first time. I could have left & done things I was with our team. We hadn’t planned to have so much time. It said 9-3pm on the flier. That threw me. Today may be better. The people running it were very nice though.
Cost our family almost $100 for two days. 2 adults 4 kids.

Connorsdad

I know I'm beating a dead horse but this is 2018 and nobody unless they are in Peoria has any idea of what's going on. Does anybody else find that utterly ridiculous? Yes the people running it are really nice but do they care about helping their tournament and the sport?

Coach P

As a grad from that non real program (cholla)...class of 94 placed 3rd at state under coach Bravo...went 38 - 2 duals from 92 - 94. They had Peoria placers from 2007 to about 2,014. Including a couple of runner-ups. Eventually producing at least three state champions during that time.

East Valley

Peoria the second day was much better. Still expensive but great competition. The medal matches were great. The 115 pound final with SS & Corona was the match of the night! 2 incredible wrestlers it was hard to see anyone to lose. (Ibarra & Kavale I'm not spelling that right) They know how to compete!!! There were some other great finals as well. SS will be hard to beat this year.

AZ_wrestlinFan#1

Peoria the second day was much better. Still expensive but great competition. The medal matches were great. The 115 pound final with SS & Corona was the match of the night! 2 incredible wrestlers it was hard to see anyone to lose. (Ibarra & Kavale I'm not spelling that right) They know how to compete!!! There were some other great finals as well. SS will be hard to beat this year.
Them boys can scramble!!

AZ_wrestlinFan#1

Cholla has had some good wrestlers recently, and by that I mean within the past 3 or 4 years. As far as I know tho Cholla was not there this year.
They had 1 good wrestler in the last for years. Urquides in 2014. He still didn’t place at Peoria. He did win state though. My point being is Queen Creek is good enough for Peoria if that powerhouse Cholla is also allowed an entry. Maybe I should have used Basha as an example instead.

AZ_wrestlinFan#1

As a grad from that non real program (cholla)...class of 94 placed 3rd at state under coach Bravo...went 38 - 2 duals from 92 - 94. They had Peoria placers from 2007 to about 2,014. Including a couple of runner-ups. Eventually producing at least three state champions during that time.
Are you sure that wasn’t Ron Hinderliter??? Kiiiiddddiiinnngggg!!!!!!

acestallion

They had 1 good wrestler in the last for years. Urquides in 2014. He still didn’t place at Peoria. He did win state though. My point being is Queen Creek is good enough for Peoria if that powerhouse Cholla is also allowed an entry. Maybe I should have used Basha as an example instead.

I want believe Roberts was a runner-up a few years ago and I though they had a good hwt too. Also I believe that will change next year. I wouldn't be surprised to see Queen Creek in it next year. Would of been interesting this year, especially at 145s with Stonebraker, Ball and Lee already there. Would of been nice to see Fernandez there, sort of been a preview of D2 state for 145s.

wm201617

Is that true that you have to be invited AND only good teams are invited? I really doubt if Queen Creek wanted to go that they would have been told no. I think at least half of getting invited would be the team expressing interest in going "coach" to their "coach" (coaches may tell parent like me or a group that they weren't invited or whatever reason so as not to have to explain themselves and why necessarily they picked the tournaments that they did since AIA limits them). I don't think Show Low and many others have been proactively invited but I bet they would have let them if they asked.

Just to throw it out to get some hate back keep in mind that Show Low beat both Liberty and Marana Mt View last week at Mile High along with every other D1 and D2 school that was there.( So I am thinking we would have been near the top at Peoria as well) We don't go to Flowing Wells but I bet you Safford and Waldon Grove beat most D1 and D2 schools that go to it( place your bets now) and we (Show Low parent here so excuse my bias) would too if we went. Not including Sunny Side. They are just scary this year as a team and will hammer everyone. Just saying because from time to time there are posts about how D3& D4 cant compete.
Not to disrespect D1 and 2 because THE top D1 and top D2 team(s) probably are usually better than the top D3 and D4 team. But not every year and the top D3 and 4 teams certainly compete very well against the rest of the field of D1 and D2 year in and year out.

Coach Pat

I want believe Roberts was a runner-up a few years ago and I though they had a good hwt too. Also I believe that will change next year. I wouldn't be surprised to see Queen Creek in it next year. Would of been interesting this year, especially at 145s with Stonebraker, Ball and Lee already there. Would of been nice to see Fernandez there, sort of been a preview of D2 state for 145s.
Queen Creek and Liberty are D1 next year.

And to the Show Low parent, Show Low is good, and they are very well coached. I wish they would go to Flowing Wells and Peoria. It would make those tournaments that much better. And I agree that they would finish at the top, no doubt. Not sure why they dont go to Flowing Wells. Maybe thats something that can change.