Sectionals and seeding question

3boys

since track wrestling is being used..are seeds being used or random draw? if so do "they" follow this criteria provided by track wrestling so the best wrestlers aren't in the same side? ...just wondering
  1. Click SEEDING CRITERIA in the LEFT or SETUP menu.
  2. Adding/Editing record information associated with the seeding criteria.
  3. NOTE: There are 3 criteria associated with a record of some kind that are part of every event and cannot be deleted. All 3 of those criteria associated with a record are necessary, and here is why. The first criteria is minimum number of matches, and that ensures a record is valid before it considers the winning percentage. For example, if a wrestler is 10-1 and another wrestler is 1-0. Based on winning percentage, the 1-0 wrestler would be better, but if you have a minimum # of matches to be considered valid you can avoid this. Then you have winning percentage which is self explanatory, and finally wins break the tie between two records with the same percentage. For example, if one wrestler is 5-1 and the other is 10-2, then the 10-2 would be seeded ahead of 5-1. These criteria should always stay together and in the same order in the seed criteria.
  • Click Tournament Records at the top of the seeding criteria page.
  • If necessary, change the name of the default record being collected.
  • If necessary, edit the minimum # of matches associated with the default record necessary for that record to be considered valid.
  • You can use the [Add Record] button to add another type of record to your seeding criteria.
  1. Use the [Add Criteria] button to add other seeding criteria to your event.
  2. You can use the Move options on the right of the page to change the order of priority of the seeding criteria and then click on the [Save Criteria Order] button to save the priorities.
  3. Set the max seed jump you would like to use for your event.
  4. This setting is used to determine how far a person can move in the seed list based on a head to head win over someone above them. Here is how it works. If you set the max seed jump to 2,any wrestler that has beaten a wrestler within 2 slots above him/her and has not lost to any wrestler below the wrestler will get moved ahead of the wrestler he/she beat. If a wrestler has beaten a wrestler but lost to another wrestler below the wrestler he/she beat, that wrestler will not be moved.

bayoubadger

since track wrestling is being used..are seeds being used or random draw? if so do "they" follow this criteria provided by track wrestling so the best wrestlers aren't in the same side? ...just wondering
  1. Click SEEDING CRITERIA in the LEFT or SETUP menu.
  2. Adding/Editing record information associated with the seeding criteria.
  3. NOTE: There are 3 criteria associated with a record of some kind that are part of every event and cannot be deleted. All 3 of those criteria associated with a record are necessary, and here is why. The first criteria is minimum number of matches, and that ensures a record is valid before it considers the winning percentage. For example, if a wrestler is 10-1 and another wrestler is 1-0. Based on winning percentage, the 1-0 wrestler would be better, but if you have a minimum # of matches to be considered valid you can avoid this. Then you have winning percentage which is self explanatory, and finally wins break the tie between two records with the same percentage. For example, if one wrestler is 5-1 and the other is 10-2, then the 10-2 would be seeded ahead of 5-1. These criteria should always stay together and in the same order in the seed criteria.
  • Click Tournament Records at the top of the seeding criteria page.
  • If necessary, change the name of the default record being collected.
  • If necessary, edit the minimum # of matches associated with the default record necessary for that record to be considered valid.
  • You can use the [Add Record] button to add another type of record to your seeding criteria.
  1. Use the [Add Criteria] button to add other seeding criteria to your event.
  2. You can use the Move options on the right of the page to change the order of priority of the seeding criteria and then click on the [Save Criteria Order] button to save the priorities.
  3. Set the max seed jump you would like to use for your event.
  4. This setting is used to determine how far a person can move in the seed list based on a head to head win over someone above them. Here is how it works. If you set the max seed jump to 2,any wrestler that has beaten a wrestler within 2 slots above him/her and has not lost to any wrestler below the wrestler will get moved ahead of the wrestler he/she beat. If a wrestler has beaten a wrestler but lost to another wrestler below the wrestler he/she beat, that wrestler will not be moved.
The seeding criteria for sectionals is found in the 2016-2017 AIA State Tournament Wrestling Guide found on aiaonline.org

They are as follows:

1. Returning previous year state champ
2. A wrestler must have a minimum of 7 matches to be seeded
3. Pre-seeding will be determined by each wrestler's winning percentage (matches must be in trackwrestling)
4. Trackwrestling will take into account all common opponents to determine seeding position
5. Head to Head will supersede 1, 3 and 4.

bayoubadger

bayoubadger for #2 (7 Matches) Is that 7 matches at that weight or just 7 matches period?
The language is this, "[a] wrestler must have a minimum of SEVEN (7) matches OVERALL to be seeded." I would take this to mean that those seven matches do not have to be at the sectional weight, although it could be open to interpretation.

I am curious to see what they do in my kids situation, not that it really matters. My kid is tied with another for best winning percentage in the section. Due to my kid sitting out for a month after knee surgery, the other kid has twice as many matches. I assume that the nod will probably go to the kid with the most matches. Although, my kid has not lost to any Arizona kids, so that throws the common opponent thing off. Should be interesting, can't wait for State.

az_wrestler

bayoubadger: how does track figure the winning percentage? where can I find the winning percentage...what's the formula?,,,,TY

bayoubadger

bayoubadger: how does track figure the winning percentage? where can I find the winning percentage...what's the formula?,,,,TY
The winning percentage is just the number of wins divided by the overall number of matches. As an example, say a kid has a 25-5 record. You take the total number of wins 25 and divide it by the total number of matches 30. 25/30=.83333333 so his winning percentage is 83% meaning he has won 83% of his matches. I am sure I made that clear as mud.

acestallion

About 8 years ago you needed 7 matches at that weight to be seeded. Now it's just 7 matches overall. I'm guessing that if winning percentage is tied, no head-to-heads, or state champs; then yes it will probably go by most wins.

MMCLLC

You are correct. One wrestler has 3-1 record and another has 30-10 record; both have the same winning percentage, but the nod goes to the wrestler with more wins.

East Valley

The language is this, "[a] wrestler must have a minimum of SEVEN (7) matches OVERALL to be seeded." I would take this to mean that those seven matches do not have to be at the sectional weight, although it could be open to interpretation.

I am curious to see what they do in my kids situation, not that it really matters. My kid is tied with another for best winning percentage in the section. Due to my kid sitting out for a month after knee surgery, the other kid has twice as many matches. I assume that the nod will probably go to the kid with the most matches. Although, my kid has not lost to any Arizona kids, so that throws the common opponent thing off. Should be interesting, can't wait for State.
I hope your boys knee is strong! It stinks when injuries hold back kids that have worked so hard! I can't wait for State either!!

bayoubadger

East Valley. thanks for the concern. I think it is close to 100% plus all the little aches and pains are gone. He's hungry and wants to make up for lost time. It may actually have been a blessing in disguise.

Mike Jarman

The seeding criteria for sectionals is found in the 2016-2017 AIA State Tournament Wrestling Guide found on aiaonline.org

They are as follows:

1. Returning previous year state champ
2. A wrestler must have a minimum of 7 matches to be seeded
3. Pre-seeding will be determined by each wrestler's winning percentage (matches must be in trackwrestling)
4. Trackwrestling will take into account all common opponents to determine seeding position
5. Head to Head will supersede 1, 3 and 4.

How will they seed the State Tournament?

bayoubadger

How will they seed the State Tournament?
It is all based off of the Section Champions. The section champions are seeded based on the following criteria:
1. Returning State Champ
2. Winning percentage
3. Head to head will supersede 1&2

Then you can look at the 4 section champs as the top 4 seeds. They are put in the bracket accordingly. The Sectional champs will wrestle the 4th place guy from another section first round. The 2's and 3's from different sections will wrestle each other 1st round. What sections get matched up is dependent upon the #1 Seed. The #1 Seed will have his 4th place on the bottom of his side of the bracket. The 2's and 3's will be on the bottom half of the bracket not wrestling each other. Hope that makes sense.

acestallion

They're supposed to be released tomorrow at 5pm. Not sure if that's just for coaches or if that's general my guess is probably everyone.

We can't see them because Arizona wrestling is way behind the times with wrestling. The AIA is so incompetent with the rules and they do not want to listen to anyone. I called and emailed the guy who is in charge of wrestling through the AIA 3 times this year to discuss different issues and he never even had the respect to call me back or answer my emails. Until they update the rules for Arizona wrestling, like the tournament and match limits, it will continue to hamper the progress for wrestlers in Arizona. Thank god that do not have that much control in the off season. Enough said. I hope all the sectionals and States go off without a hitch and we can enjoy some good competition!!

bayoubadger

We can't see them because Arizona wrestling is way behind the times with wrestling. The AIA is so incompetent with the rules and they do not want to listen to anyone. I called and emailed the guy who is in charge of wrestling through the AIA 3 times this year to discuss different issues and he never even had the respect to call me back or answer my emails. Until they update the rules for Arizona wrestling, like the tournament and match limits, it will continue to hamper the progress for wrestlers in Arizona. Thank god that do not have that much control in the off season. Enough said. I hope all the sectionals and States go off without a hitch and we can enjoy some good competition!!

I respectfully disagree. The kids in Arizona wrestle just as many matches as kids in other states. There are kids in AZ that have already had 50 matches this season. Sure, the team is limited to the number of tournaments they go to, but the coach could take them to tournaments where they are guaranteed more matches like dual tournaments. So it is less dependent on the rules than the coach. Also, AZ is the ONLY state I have lived in where there are no limits to the amount of coaching he can do and contact he can have in the "off" season. With all that extra time AZ should be full of world class wrestlers, they are not. While there are some world class wrestlers from AZ they come from the schools that have no "off" season.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I just give mine. I only speak form my dealings with the AIA and my sons situations throughout the years. I am just glad this is my last year dealing with the AIA. Off to the NCAA.

East Valley

Luckily there is no corruption with the NCAA! Haha

I understand the frustration. I think wrestling in AZ has improved a lot in my 22 years here. When we started our club there were only 3 or 4 clubs. Now there are tons. A lot of people donating time, blood & tears to the sport here. I like the direction we are going. I have some ideas for the AIA as well. They could really do a good job with a few changes.