Division 3 Rankings

crimdad

Sorry but the WG coach argued multiple times in EVERY SINGLE MATCH! Bad example for the boys he coaches imo. It got so bad that the entire side of the arena was rooting against him and his boys. Kinda sad really. It was a nail biter all day. CRIMINALS!!! Oh now there are 3 dads on here

wm201617

Jackson took care of business. Just as almost everyone that knows him knew he would. Kudos to both the Torrez brothers though.

Also, I have to hand it to Yuma. I honestly and all my math said State was going to be Waldon and Showlow with Yuma coming up just short. Way to go Yuma. You deserve it and I can tell you that Showlow fans like me have all the respect in the world for your wrestlers, your program and your coaches. You guys are a powerhouse.

As far as the WG coach. I also got tired as everyone did, of him arguing every point. However I will say this and trust me I say it not as a fan of WG.
The WG coach did not cost WG the state title. They would not have been as close as they were without him. I remember 1 specific match before the finals where he was successful in arguing what amounted to a 1 or 2 point difference of his wrestler being behind into to being tied or winning with very little time on clock left. Because of that his guy advanced to next round I think that probably( if you look down the road after that match) amounted to 2 or 3 at minimum team points. Look, I personally was getting fed up with it all too and the 'attitude" but I will say fairly that you cant blame a coach for advocating for his wrestlers when he feels there is cause. I think the issue was he cried "wolf" too many times.

Way to go Yuma and WG. It was an exciting D3 state tournament and it was great to be in the hunt.

Last edited:

crimdad

Jackson took care of business. Just as almost everyone that knows him knew he would. Kudos to both the Torrez brothers though.

Also, I have to hand it to Yuma. I honestly and all my math said State was going to be Waldon and Showlow with Yuma coming up just short. Way to go Yuma. You deserve it and I can tell you that Showlow fans like me have all the respect in the world for your wrestlers, your program and your coaches. You guys are a powerhouse.

As far as the WG coach. I also got tired as everyone of him arguing every point. However I will say this and trust me I say it not as a fan of WG.
The WG coach did not cost WG the state title. They would not have been as close as they were without him. I remember 1 specific match where he was successful in arguing what amounted to a 1 or 2 point difference of his wrestler being behind to being tied or winning with very little time on clock left. Because of that his guy advanced to next round I think that probably if you look down the road after that match to 2 or 3 at minimum team points. Look, I personally was getting fed up with it all too and the 'attitude" but I will say fairly that you cant blame a coach for advocating for his wrestlers when he feels there is cause. I think the issue was he cried "wolf" too many times.

Way to go Yuma and WG. It was an exciting D3 state tournament and it was great to be in the hunt.
Ya I didn’t mean to be disrespectful but it was excessive by the end! Hats of to all the top teams at the end! Safford was coming too! What a great experience for all involved. Damn there were some badasses out there!

AzWildCard

There’s an appropriate way to address issues with referees. You can question a wrestlers safety all day long but you don’t question a referees judgement. You will lose that argument 24/7/365.

It’s the coaches responsibility to ensure the referee is enforcing and following rules but under no circumstance do you cross the the line and cost your team a point.

Wrestling is an emotional sport but you need to be in control of your emotions at all times.

TUMBLEWEED

As far as the WG coach. I also got tired as everyone did, of him arguing every point. However I will say this and trust me I say it not as a fan of WG.
The WG coach did not cost WG the state title. They would not have been as close as they were without him. I remember 1 specific match before the finals where he was successful in arguing what amounted to a 1 or 2 point difference of his wrestler being behind into to being tied or winning with very little time on clock left. Because of that his guy advanced to next round I think that probably( if you look down the road after that match) amounted to 2 or 3 at minimum team points. Look, I personally was getting fed up with it all too and the 'attitude" but I will say fairly that you cant blame a coach for advocating for his wrestlers when he feels there is cause. I think the issue was he cried "wolf" too many times.

I disagree. When the competition gets that close and every point counts, There’s obviously no room to be giving away team points. Shreck should know better.
As for him getting the call reversed during previous matches, that is his job. Those kids wrestled their butts off for ALL of those points. That was the kids job. For him to get one taken away is BS and ultimately cost the team the title.. plain and simple.. if the point is still on the board they win. He lost it, Not any of the wrestlers... they all did their jobs

wm201617

Yah, I hear you. My only point is that he prob got a few points for team as well. But your right, when its that close acting more appropriate to ensure no point taken awsy would be a priority.

arizonalove

I also think Chagolla beats Sanford in the Semis. I think Nez from Page might also sneak by Sanford but then lose to Chagolla.
You didn't give that Sanford kid a chance of even getting out of sectionals, or the first two rounds of state. He didn't make the seeding rules he just went out there and wrestled. You must have respect for him now, giving Westin a heck of a match.

wm201617

Heck yah I do....he was a beast and Westin was fortunate to beat him....if Sanford had wrestled all season just think how good he would have been.
Westin told me later how glad he was he didnt medical at sectionals to Page because he would have had Sanford in Qtrs then.
Anyway, it was my bad taking him lightly in earlier posts.
It goes to show that as much as we ( well I speak for myself anyway) want to somehow predict, manage, and show "wisdom" how little we really know about each wrestler and their motivations and their heart. I like to think that Track Wrestling, winning percentages, common opponents etc all mean something but fact is wrestlers just go out there and wrestle and the stats be damned. All the rankings,seeding, records etc all go away when they are out there on the mat. Its the beauty of the sport.

Last edited:

arizonalove

Sorry but the WG coach argued multiple times in EVERY SINGLE MATCH! Bad example for the boys he coaches imo. It got so bad that the entire side of the arena was rooting against him and his boys. Kinda sad really. It was a nail biter all day. CRIMINALS!!! Oh now there are 3 dads on here
I'm glad you mentioned this, being a Tucson guy I would have like to see Walden Grove win one, but I understand coaches questioning a point but this guy was on the mat arguing every call. his wrestlers were getting out of rhythm with all the breaks. and yes the crowd did turn on him. anyway, Great state tournament d-3 has some amazing wrestlers. see you next year

Last edited:

chingon76

Staff member
Every time I looked I saw Walden Grove arguing calls. You [a coach] just can't argue calls like that. You have to be as diplomatic as possible and even then... you are going to annoy the referees. I've seen the Sunnyside coach do the same thing several times at several different tournaments. But we have to realize The referees are human. They will get annoyed and they will hold grudges. We (MDN coaches)actually were warned (by a referee at a match at state)that yelling "he's pinned, he's pinned" while in our corner, could get the match stopped and the wrestlers put back on their feet! Walden Grove coach might have cost his team the championship and that sucks. One of our wrestler's parents said it seemed like he (wg coach)wanted to be the bad guy and the nice guy. He wanted to yell at the refs and question calls but then say... "well wait, I didn't do anything wrong". We were standing matside and were next to the "offduty" referee seating area. They were quite abuzz when the Walden Grove coach questioned the calls in that match. He drew the ire of the refs.

In the end: It was a close championship and fun to watch unfold.

Last edited:

Jim ima

Let’s just look at the facts here:
Walden Grove Coach loses 1 team point, his team loses by 1/2 a point.

If he doesn’t question a match that has already been decided (195) he doesn’t lose the team point and It doesn’t matter what any other team does (Yuma getting a pin in finals to win individual and team titles, which was incredible btw, congrats to them).

Bulldogdaddy

Heck yah I do....he was a beast and Westin was fortunate to beat him....if Sanford had wrestled all season just think how good he would have been.
Westin told me later how glad he was he didnt medical at sectionals to Page because he would have had Sanford in Qtrs then.
Anyway, it was my bad taking him lightly in earlier posts.
It goes to show that as much as we ( well I speak for myself anyway) want to somehow predict, manage, and show "wisdom" how little we really know about each wrestler and their motivations and their heart. I like to think that Track Wrestling, winning percentages, common opponents etc all mean something but fact is wrestlers just go out there and wrestle and the stats be damned. All the rankings,seeding, records etc all go away when they are out there on the mat. Its the beauty of the sport.
Thank you, it killed him not to be out there with his team all year. We were at marana duals and bailey was itching to get out there with westin and eric. Poor kid was hurt during state last year so we were very thankful that he was able to compete this year.