Division 3 Rankings

chingon76

Staff member
Andrew Torres of Marcos de Niza overwhelmed Sebastian Mordecai in the finals of flowing wells. Mordecai has a win over Jackson Allen of Showlow this year.
It was honestly the worst officiated match I have seen in quite some time. Terrible sportsmanship also.
mordecai was overwhelmed the whole match. He scored 1 escape and was given the other. Head ref weighed in on two calls matside. The first point awarded to Torres was because of an illegal move. The main official on the mat said mordecai hit Torres in the face deliberately. Sunnyside coach contested that point and head referee of tournament explained the rule and held the ruling. I forgot the other "bad officiating" but I think it was over an escape that wasn't awarded. Sunnyside argued that too and head ref kept the call. I have them recorded.

Torres beat mordecai solidly. It was Torres creating havoc the whole match. Yes, he had a bloody nose but it was plugged up a couple times.

The sportsmanship: Marcos de niza lost a point. Torres raised his hands in victory the last ten seconds while atop a very overwhelmed mordecai. I know that was unsportsmanlike but... it was an exciting win for him. Torres was apologetic. It was, to me, less offensive than taunting, starting a scuffle, or throwing a tantrum.

Last edited:

MatMaid

Torres is tough for sure.. It’s to bad he displayed such terrible sportsmanship when he won.

Every other young man in the finals win or lose looked better then him after that display.

Last edited:

chingon76

Staff member
Torres is tough for sure.. It’s to bad he displayed such terrible sportsmanship when he won.

Every other young man in the finals win or loose looked better then him after that display.
This behavior is not too uncommon. I remember another display of the "early celebration" when a very game jimmy dietz (freshmen)bested a very game senior in the state finals. He started a last 10seconds of the match victory run.

It happens... wrestling is the oldest martial art. It's a fight practically. Emotions are at the breaking point. Sometimes a wrestler makes a poor decision and taunts or cusses or worse. I'm not excusing it but it is understandable. Winning flowing wells is a huge deal. Big wins cause tons of emotion to surface.

My point: it's not that big of a display of unsportsmanlike behavior. There are much worse. 2 years ago the heavyweight finals at flowing wells: Red mt and another team (Pueblo or saguaro?) resulted in a dq because of repeated headbutts!

Last edited:

bayoubadger

mordecai was overwhelmed the whole match. He scored 1 escape and was given the other. Head ref weighed in on two calls matside. The first point awarded to Torres was because of an illegal move. The main official on the mat said mordecai hit Torres in the face deliberately. Sunnyside coach contested that point and head referee of tournament explained the rule and held the ruling. I forgot the other "bad officiating" but I think it was over an escape that wasn't awarded. Sunnyside argued that too and head ref kept the call. I have them recorded.

Torres beat mordecai solidly. It was Torres creating havoc the whole match. Yes, he had a bloody nose but it was plugged up a couple times.

The sportsmanship: Marcos de niza lost a point. Torres raised his hands in victory the last ten seconds while atop a very overwhelmed mordecai. I know that was unsportsmanlike but... it was an exciting win for him. Torres was apologetic. It was, to me, less offensive than taunting, starting a scuffle, or throwing a tantrum.
Toyota wasn’t even watching the match. Hard for him to weigh in with any substance. Torres is tough. Mordecai gave up. Wouldn’t have changed outcome more than likely. Doesn’t change the fact that it was poorly officiated.

AZ_wrestlinFan#1

This behavior is not too uncommon. I remember another display of the "early celebration" when a very game jimmy dietz (freshmen)bested a very game senior in the state finals. He started a last 10seconds of the match victory run.

It happens... wrestling is the oldest martial art. It's a fight practically. Emotions are at the breaking point. Sometimes a wrestler makes a poor decision and taunts or cusses or worse. I'm not excusing it but it is understandable. Winning flowing wells is a huge deal. Big wins cause tons of emotion to surface.

My point: it's not that big of a display of unsportsmanlike behavior. There are much worse. 2 years ago the heavyweight finals at flowing wells: Red mt and another team (Pueblo or saguaro?) resulted in a dq because of repeated headbutts!
It was Sahuaro.

bayoubadger

All I know is if that were my kid acting like that, I would have dragged him out of the gym by his headgear!

Coach Pat

Yes, Sahuaro and that athlete was punished by both his coach and his school admin for his unsportsmanlike actions. Poor sportsmanship is poor sportsmanship. The problem is we make excuses for the behavior. Doesn't matter how big the match is. There's a right way and a wrong way to celebrate a big victory and sitting atop another young man who has also worked hard to be there and cheering is not the right way to do it.

chingon76

Staff member
All I know is if that were my kid acting like that, I would have dragged him out of the gym by his headgear!
Like I said, Andy was apologetic. He even stopped the behavior before shaking hands (both mordecai's and Leon's). It wasn't a drawn out disrespectful display as you would like everyone to believe. He celebrates before the match was over. His team lost a point. He wasn't cussing the refs or the crowd or the other athlete. He was celebrating. The coaches tried to shut it down before he lost the point but it was too late. We didn't condone the behavior. We talked to him and he apologized profusely.

Personally, It was unsportsmanlike but there are varying degrees of unsportsmanlike behavior.

I would say throwing headgear or refusing to shake hands or starting a fight or taunting are worse. Those would result in severe consequences.

Would you protest the whole match and have a redo? Lol The Andy you saw last night would shut down mordecai again.

chingon76

Staff member
Wrestling is a sport where we hail aggressiveness. We promote it we cherish it. It is important to recognize that aspect of the sport. It has spill-over in matches for sure. Kids get upset kids get excited. It was a teachable moment for mdn staff / wrestlers and will be discussed. Grabbing a kid by the headgear? Is this Donald trumps sport? Lol. That's like punching your child for hitting another child.
Good luck to everyone in the next few weeks, sectionals and state. Stay healthy.

chingon76

Staff member
Also:
It's odd nobody Mentions the sunnyside kid that blew kisses to the stands when he got hit 4 times for stalling and the whole gym was booing.

MatMaid

Wow! You changed my mind. Your looong..... defense of unsportsmanlike conduct and education on the emotional aspects of the sport sold me.

Really though, I’ve been around wrestling long enough to stand by my opinion.

He won the match. I just hope someone cares enough about him to teach him more than how to win. Being humble is a virtue, and this is a teachable moment.

chingon76

Staff member
No, I didn't change my mind. I was just trying to explain my rationale. While some might deem his behavior as some mindbogglingly horrible act, I don't.

It wasn't a major display of unsportsmanlike behavior. We talked with him because he was bummed he cost the team a point. It's a teachable moment because sometimes we forget etiquette when we are excited in victory. His loss of the point... reminded his teammates that behavior has consequences.

In the end...
You don’t know Andy at all and if you did you would know just how hateful and cocky he isn't . He was truly just celebrating a victory.

chingon76

Staff member
Wow! You changed my mind. Your looong..... defense of unsportsmanlike conduct and education on the emotional aspects of the sport sold me.

Really though, I’ve been around wrestling long enough to stand by my opinion.

He won the match. I just hope someone cares enough about him to teach him more than how to win. Being humble is a virtue, and this is a teachable moment.
Based upon your postings (here and in other postings concerning sunnyside) I'm guessing you're a parent of / relative of a wrestler at sunnyside (past or present). Maybe you're Sebastian's mom. Either way I understand the loss in front of the the hometown crowd was rough. Andy assured his team and coaches that he didn't mean to humiliate his opponent. He was strictly overwhelmed in victory.

An error in judgement for Andy for sure as all the times I have talked and seen the twins, they were very respectful!

SPRAWL

Here are some updated rankings based on available info and my opinion. Lots or weight drops already. Feel free to comment or make suggestions.

1. Lopez-Walden Grove
2. Whitewater-Page
3. Perez-Sunrise Mtn Profile record not complete
4. Fellows-Show Low.
5. Billups-Coconino
6. Avalos CDO
1. Campista-Pueblo
2. Perkins-Snowflake
3. Ramirez-Sunrise Mtn Profile record not complete
4. Long-Show Low
5. Russo-Thunderbird
6. Sepulveda-Peoria
1. Guerrero-Walden Grove
2. Ruiz-Yuma
3. D. Lujan-Pueblo
4. Schwiegart-Show Low
5. Matherson-Buckeye
6. Richardson-Combs
1. B. Lujan-Pueblo
2. Steigmeier-Moon Valley
3. Lombillo-Safford
4. Bateman-Show Low
5. Ramos-Walden Grove
6. Rivera-Estrella Fotthills
1. Bugarin-Yuma
2. June-Page
3. Cordero-Peoria
4. Powell-Show Low
5. Holkom-Florence
6. Baxter-Prescott
1. Silva-Walden Grove
2. Finch-Safford
3. Wilhelm-Show Low
4. Vargas-Apache Junction
5. Miller-Mingus
6. Carabeo-Sahuarita
1. McKissick-CDO
2. Svoboda-Mingus
3. Kilgore-Walden Grove
4. Wayman-Lee Williams
5. Lund-Chino Valley
6. Frost-Snowflake
1. Andrews-Safford
2. Elmer-Payson
3. Doerksen-Mingus
4. Coates-Prescott
5. Cruz-Youngker
6. Mortensen-Chino Valley
1. Alex Torres-Marcos de Niza
2. White-Safford
3. Rock-Chino Valley
4. Gamez-Walden Grove
5. Daw-Page
6. Zabala-Peoria
1. Allen-Show Low
2. Andrew Torres-Marcos de Niza
3. Susel-Florence
4. Taunima-Combs
5. Shaffer-Lee Williams
6. Hindley-Pueblo
1. Henderson-Blue Ridge
2. Sanchez-Yuma
3. Finch-Safford
4. McCarty-Cactus
5. Johnson-MDN
6. DeWitt-Show Low
1. Mickelson-Thunderbird
2. Keime-Show Low
3. Chagolla-Peoria
4. Ibanez-Pueblo
5. Nez-Page
6. Sedek-Coronado
1. Jacobs-Combs
2. Manassra-MDN
3. Powe-Estrella Foothills
4. Umphres-Safford
5. Wagner-Chinle
6. Coronado-Rio Rico
HWT
1. Clark-Moon Valley
2. Vega-Yuma
3. Arnold-Florence
4. Delgado-Buckeye
5. Leasau-Dysart
6. Nelson-Prescott
Some updates, weight drops at lower weights. Lot of records incomplete, hard to rank with incomplete info.