Weekend Wars

MingusCoach

Staff member
Re: Weekend Wars 2015

Wrestling Prep has generously donated one week at Wrestling Prep summer camp to be raffled off. (A $320.00/week camp that includes room, board and 6 days of clinic is Sacramento Ca). We'll be selling tickets at $5.00/each at Weekend Wars; winning ticket to be draw at first WW in June.
I highly recommend her clinic as it played an important role in camp Verde achieving success at state this year.
Coach Chagolla

MingusCoach

Staff member

Just a reminder, Weekend Wars is on this Saturday.
Everything is free. All we want is mat time for all kids. I highly recommend it to anyone that wishes to move up another level in their wrestling skills. Weigh-in starts at 7:00AM. Folkstyle Wrestling starts at 8:00 AM (three one minute periods) and usually finishes by noon. We would like parents and coaches to ensure that all your kids sign a waiver (see attached). You must bring a waiver every week. For those of you who have been asking how they can help support these weekend wars, I could really use help with refereeing and a case of water bottles. Once again thanks to all the Coaches and Parents who support this function. Many kids thanked us for putting on Weekend Wars for them. Many kids are benefiting from all our collaborative efforts as a brotherhood.

Wrestlers- Three one minute periods of Folkstyle competition. Kindergarten thru high school. Tons of kids show up in every weight class. No lifting in the air. All wrestlers should bring their own white athletic tape and wrestling shoes. (singlet’s and head gear are optional) You must sign the attached release form. Weigh-ins start at 7:00 AM and wrestling commences at 8:00 AM. Please don’t be late as this only holds up everything.

Just a reminder, please have your wrestlers bring their own, white tape, nose plugs, band aids and med kit. I cannot afford to supply all of Arizona's medical needs. Contrary to rumors circulating. I did not receive a "Stimulus" package from Obama.

If you are using Map Quest, use 321 W Apache Trail, Camp Verde AZ 86322 as your destination.

The attendance numbers have grown thus far. With the increase in numbers, the quality levels have also risen. The event has led to matches equal or tougher than those at the state level. This past weekend’s tournament was a great success, presenting many opportunities for kids to test their skills. Unbelievable! Is the best way to describe several matches. I still can’t stop thinking about it the following week. With champion-like qualities of courage, fortitude, determination, tenacity and perseverance, many wrestlers are proving that if you dedicate yourself and work hard, you will succeed.
Many other coaches/organizations are now opening their doors. This is absolutely outstanding. Needless to say, Arizona is on its way up. Congratulations to one and all. In 2015, I look forward to watching Arizona Wrestling’s quality level rise and advance to a position of excellence. With so many dedicated Coaches, parents and teams, I am confident that those participating in off-season Weekend Wars will again improve in leaps and bounds finding themselves at the top of the State podium.

Thank you
Coach Chagolla

Attachments

• Camp Verde Weekend Wars Release.doc
    57.9 KB · Views: 93

MingusCoach

Staff member

Great news, coming with Carolyn Wester is Drew Morgan 2x California placer. 2015 Flo Nationals and NHSCH AA. Jesse Vasquez, ranked #1by USA wrestling #112 school boy. Tulsa, Reno, Freakshow champion

MingusCoach

Staff member

“Weekend Wars” attendance this Saturday was huge with lots of wrestlers exhibiting varying levels of expertise seeking to match their skills against those who have worked hard all month to test their newly acquired techniques.

Carolyn Wester from Wrestling Prep, once again provided her seminar on body leveraging and broke down many different angles and positioning of body for better stability. It is amazing the knowledge she brings forth to share with us. Her technical skills are highly advanced and the foundation she presents help her students excel. She took time away from her busy schedule and prestigious clientele many who are Collegiate Champions, UFC Champions, National Champions and Olympians to provide her services free of charge to those who would not otherwise be able to attend such a high caliber of clinical training.

Women have not yet achieved total equity in the wrestling world. However Women like Carolyn Wester who refuse to stay idle, who have the courage to persevere are making it easier for their peers to follow in succession. Her strength of mind, courage, and inspiration will motivate other females to take part in the future of this sport. Her determination and commitment are the main reasons for her success. She gained many benefits offered by wrestling, self-esteem and confidence, health and fitness, fun and challenge, discipline and dedication, life skills and personal lessons. I am impressed with her positive attitude. She discovered fun, friendship and the power of her inner spirit.

She is strong, independent, a partner capable of making her own way. A more active role in sports and community service has made her a leader, a team player and a role model, worthy of respect and capable of commanding it. Having to deal with prejudices, she had to study her strengths and weaknesses. She came to recognize the demands of a given situation and adapt the strategies necessary to meet those demands. She has learned to try and create the motivational environment most conducive to her success and at the same time learn about the differences of others and the environment they need for maximum harmony towards accomplishing group tasks.

She brought with her Jesse Vasquez and Drew Morgan. Both are highly reputable wrestlers in the nation. They not only presented the technique taught to them by Carolyn Wester but also provided numerous bouts of Mat time to those who wanted to improve their Mat skills. They are both leaders whose values like compassion and social responsibility have made a tremendous impact on the lives of others.

They may be an ordinary person but with an extraordinary character. The energy and the passion in which they carry themselves, is a critical component as to why they are so successful at being a mentor, role model and a leader amongst their peers. They not only serve as a mentor but these young men showed total respect towards others and at the same time constantly displayed a kind of congeniality which one could not help but grasp. I am privileged to be writing this blessing to honor them as men of distinction and to pay tribute to young men whose pride, determination and brilliance has inspired those around them.

In attendance was, Morenci, Sandra Day O’Conner, Liberty, Desert Mountain, New Breed, Coconino, Show Low, Sunkist, Valley Vista, Winslow, Cornville, Apollo, Horizon, Holbrook, Paradise Valley, Carl Hayden, Fight Ready, North Canyon, Ship Rock New Mexico, Ironwood, Nizhoni, Predator, Glendale, Cottonwood, Hulet, Barcelona, Fountain Hills, Wrestling Prep California, Monsoon, Shadow Mountain, Vernon, Sunset, Mountain Trail, Flagstaff, Ashton Ranch, Highland, Mountain Ridge, Paradise Education, Cactus Shadows, Dysart, Western Sky, Palm Valley, Snow Flake and Peoria

Those new to our brotherhood were excited and astonished by the quality and quantity of matches that their kids were able to obtain with most averaging between 10 and 15 matches. We had to run a total of 18 matches simultaneously in order to keep up with demands. Everything finished by noon.

If you are looking for great competition then this is where you want to be May 16. All are welcomed. So come on up and join in on the fun.

Coach Chagolla

Attachments

• wrestling prep camps.pdf
    220 KB · Views: 46

MingusCoach

Staff member

Just a reminder that Weekend Wars is coming up again on May 16th. So far some of the schools that have participated are, Morenci, Sandra Day O’Conner, Liberty, Desert Mountain, New Breed, Coconino, Show Low, Sunkist, Valley Vista, Winslow, Cornville, Apollo, Horizon, Holbrook, Paradise Valley, Carl Hayden, Fight Ready, North Canyon, Ship Rock New Mexico, Ironwood, Nizhoni, Predator, Glendale, Cottonwood, Hulet, Barcelona, Fountain Hills, Wrestling Prep California, Monsoon, Shadow Mountain, Vernon, Sunset, Mountain Trail, Flagstaff, Ashton Ranch, Highland, Mountain Ridge, Paradise Education, Cactus Shadows, Dysart, Western Sky, Palm Valley, Snow Flake, Peoria, Basha, Winslow, Prescott, Mingus, Werewolf’s, Dysart, Grindhouse, Bear club, Camp Verde, Eclipse, Heritage, Chino Valley, Mountain View Marana, Bradshaw Mountain, Maryvale, Sunrise Mountain, Cactus Shadows, Joy Christian, Payne Jr. high, Christ Lutheran, Tolleson, Stetson Hills, West Valley Christian, Clarkdale, Oak Creek, West Wind, Desert Oasis, Chandler, Patterson Elementary and Del Rio.

So come on up and join in on the fun.

MingusCoach

Staff member

If your looking for mat time, then this is the place to be. Mat time is essential in the development of a wrestler. Mat time benefits wrestlers by increasing the situations a wrestler experiences while working against a partner or opponent. Weekend Wars provides a non-competitive venue where the wrestler is willing to try newly acquired moves without the pressures of winning or losing.

Wrestlers who have set high goals for themselves need to seek opportunities to wrestle. The Folk Style season usually runs for three and a-half months and even with the addition of a summer camp it is not nearly enough mat time to reach the “next level”. Weekend Wars schedules, which run from March to September, allows young wrestlers who desire to get better, an outlet to compete, learn their strengths and weakness. Most wrestlers average between 10 and 15 matches by noon and then still have opportunities to spend quality time the rest of the day with family.

MingusCoach

Staff member

Weekend Wars is still on for this Saturday so come on up and let’s wrestle.

I want to take the time to thank all the Coaches and parents who throughout the years have continuously participated at Weekend Wars Mat time. I have enjoyed working with all of you throughout the years. You have all provided me with so much support, encouragement and guidance. We have shared a unique camaraderie that only few souls attain in this world. Thanks for always being there for me my brothers. It has been my pleasure to have served with you as a coach.

You have helped change many lives for the best with your endless devotion to help others quality of life rise. Your efforts attract youth after school hours and provide them the leadership needed to inspire, motivate and encourage good behaviors. Your devotion helps kids set goals, and helps them rise to the challenges they will encounter. All of you at one time or another have financially supported many of them to participate in activities that only kids from wealthy environments can only attend.

The kids are blessed to have you in their lives.

Thank you
Coach Chagolla

MingusCoach

Staff member

Rumors had started last week that Weekend wars was cancelled. I have never cancelled a weekend wars in the last ten years since it's inception. If we ever cancel we will say so here on the forum. May 30th is the next weekend wars. See you then. If you're looking for some great mat time, then this is where you want to be.

MingusCoach

Staff member

Great news Grand Canyon University will again present a free wrestling clinic on May 30th at Weekend Wars. They will provide technical training from 8AM to 9AM and then live wrestling will begin. I encourage you to meet with them after the clinic.

On behalf of myself, my coaching staff and the entire Camp Verde Wrestling program we are honored to host this free clinic. My compliments to the Grand Canyon University Staff for donating their time to kids in all our communities.

All are welcome. Come on up and join in on the fun!

MingusCoach

Staff member

Nevada's Cimarron wrestling team coming up this weekend for some great mat time. They always show up with some great quality wrestlers. If your looking for different wrestling styles to test your skills then this is the weekend to come up and join the fun.

MingusCoach

Staff member

Once again many thanks to Grand Canyon University who gave a one hour presentation on bottom technique. The system presented was awesome. I recommend that you attend any of their Camp Clinics if you wish to move up another level in your skills.

There were many kids from different teams/schools at this Weekend Wars. In attendance was, Winslow, Holbrook, Camp Verde, Mingus, St. Johns, North Canyon, Arizona Lutheran, Peoria, Falcons, Northern Arizona grapplers, Tuba City, Ship Rock New Mexico, Verado, Laveen, Mountain Ridge, Ironwood, Snowflake, Valley Lutheran, Cottonwood, Coconino, Liberty, Dysart, Kingman, Flagstaff, Morenci, Warriors, Alta Loma, Glendale, Desert Meadows, Phoenix, Avondale, Nishoni New Mexico, West Valley Christian, White Cliffs, Mesa, Horizon, Sunrise, Paradise Valley, and Valley Vista.

Everyone averaged 10 or more matches. Many commented how they just can’t believe how many matches one gets in just 3 hours. By 11:00 AM many were on their way home to enjoy the rest of the day. It is so gratifying when these wrestlers come up to you and thank you for providing them with free mat time and free camp clinic.

It is easily visible that these wrestlers who are dedicating themselves during the off season will be standing on podiums throughout the regular season. One in particular wrestler, is Colton LaBrant. He continues to impress during the summer competition. He outmaneuvered and outmuscled all his foes for the easy wins. If he continues to excel throughout the remainder of the off season, LaBrant should be standing high on the podium at state. We are excited to have such an outstanding individual attend our Weekend Wars. With champion-like qualities of courage, fortitude, determination, tenacity and perseverance, LaBrant proves that if you dedicate yourself and work hard, you will succeed.

I didn’t get to see all the matches but there were three teams (Peoria, Holbrook and Ironwood) that stood out because of their aggressive style. They are tough, solid wrestlers who keep coming at you, no matter what they might be hit with. They are skilled and, at the same time, have that mental toughness that makes all the difference in the tough matches. They are quickly becoming a crowd favorite to come and watch. They exhibit extraordinary speed, aggressiveness and strength for their age. They gave the crowd a magnificent show. There was a lot of cheering from all sides of the mat. I was elated by their superb display of wrestling on Saturday.

The next Weekend Wars will not be until June 27th. See you guys then.

Coach Chagolla

MingusCoach

Staff member

Great News;
GCU Coach Michael Hatcher is heading up the new wrestling club program at GCU. He has asked if I could reach out to the graduating seniors to see if they could get to the next “Weekend Wars” on June 27th. He would love to stop by and take a look at as many of them as he can. He is looking for those who would have an interest in wrestling at the college level but are not committed to anywhere for this fall. He has already had one response from last “Weekend Wars” and was excited. The prospect was able to showcase his skills against other tough competition and come out on top. Coach Hatcher really thinks this program would be a great opportunity for the kids and he’d love to discuss options with them.

MingusCoach

Staff member

Many have been calling about when our next Weekend Wars is. They could not believe we are skipping one of the weekends. So just a reminder that the next Weekend Wars is not until June 27th. Camp Verde team is going to Las Vegas Duels this weekend. We apologize for any inconvenience. We are going over there to support Cimarron High School. Their new Head Coach (Andrew Tomaso) has always supported our Weekend Wars so we are returning the favor.

MingusCoach

Staff member

Sounds like the June 27th Weekend Wars is going to be awesome. There is a lot of people calling to sign up.

Just a reminder: Great News;
GCU Coach Michael Hatcher is heading up the new wrestling club program at GCU. He has asked if I could reach out to the graduating seniors to see if they could get to the next “Weekend Wars” on June 27th. He would love to stop by and take a look at as many of them as he can. He is looking for those who would have an interest in wrestling at the college level but are not committed to anywhere for this fall. He has already had one response from last “Weekend Wars” and was excited. The prospect was able to showcase his skills against other tough competition and come out on top. Coach Hatcher really thinks this program would be a great opportunity for the kids and he’d love to discuss options with them.

MingusCoach

Staff member

Bayfield Colorado and Shiprock New Mexico will be here June 27th for Weekend Wars. That would be a good time for those of you that want to test your skills against different styles of wrestling from out of state competition.

MingusCoach

Staff member

Sounds like the June 27th Weekend Wars is going to be awesome. There is a lot of people calling to sign up.

Just a reminder: Great News;

Bayfield Colorado and Shiprock New Mexico will be here June 27th for Weekend Wars. That would be a good time for those of you that want to test your skills against different styles of wrestling from out of state competition.

MingusCoach

Staff member

Coach Michael Hatcher from GCU was extremely pleased with the potential recruits that showcased their skills on Saturday. In the mix was a wrestler from Apple Valley California, one from Bayfield Colorado and the rest from Arizona. The wrestlers gave their names and numbers as well as set up follow up interviews at Grand Canyon University next week.

What a great opportunity for those of you who are looking to be recognized. Most kids want the colleges to go after them. It’s kind of a two way street. It goes a long way if a wrestler is really seeking them out, e-mailing them or attending events where they can introduce themselves and showcase their skills.

Most wrestlers want to know how they can be discovered. What more can you ask for? GCU is making it easy for wrestlers to showcase their talent level and attitude.

Coach Hatcher will attend future Weekend Wars to continue searching for possible future athletic prospects. I will keep you posted on the dates he will attend.

MingusCoach

Staff member

Great news; Coach Hatcher will again attend this Weekend Wars (July 11th) to continue searching for possible future athletic college prospects.

Coach Michael Hatcher from GCU was extremely pleased with the potential recruits that showcased their skills on Saturday June 27th. In the mix was a wrestler from Apple Valley California, one from Bayfield Colorado and the rest from Arizona. The wrestlers gave their names and numbers as well as set up follow up interviews at Grand Canyon University next week.

What a great opportunity for those of you who are looking to be recognized. Most kids want the colleges to go after them. It’s kind of a two way street. It goes a long way if a wrestler is really seeking them out, e-mailing them or attending events where they can introduce themselves and showcase their skills.

Most wrestlers want to know how they can be discovered. What more can you ask for? GCU is making it easy for wrestlers to showcase their talent level. You talk about opportunities, this is it. Here it is and the difference between those of you who will succeed and those of you that will fail is that you are not taking advantage of this opportunity. Fortune always favors the bold. All the titans of the present and the past were bold and fearless. Wake up, Rise my brothers and fulfill your destiny. You have unlimited potential. This is your time.

So come on up and take advantage of this great opportunity.

Coach Chagolla

MingusCoach

Staff member

“Weekend Wars” attendance this Saturday was huge with lots of wrestlers exhibiting varying levels of expertise seeking to match their skills against those who have worked hard all month to test their newly acquired techniques.

In attendance was, West Point Elementary, El Mirage, San Manuel, Bourgade Catholic, Mountain Ridge, Holbrook, Mountain Sky, Barry Goldwater, Sundance, Moon Valley, Phoenix Christian, Surprise, Peoria, Valley Vista, Snow Flake, Basha, North Laveen, Thunderbird, North Canyon, Pinnacle, Westwood, Cottonwood, Paradise Valley, Riverview Elementary, Dysart, Fireside Elementary, Kingman, Apollo, Liberty Elementary, Desert Shadows, Notre Dame Prep, Shadow Mountain, Dolores Colorado, Bayfield Colorado, Durango Colorado, Window Rock, Dove Creek Colorado, Carson Jr. High, Sandra Day O’Conner, Herrera Elementary, St. Johns, Oracle Middle School Tucson, De Miquel, Wittman and Flagstaff.

“Where you find success you find sacrifice”. This phrase best describes those who attend Weekend Wars and other off-season mat time competitive gatherings. These boys are willing to pay the price to be recognized; Their sacrifice, hard work, blood, sweat & tears go into their years of wrestling. They have earned the right to be ranked amongst the best.

Wrestling is a journey of exploration and discovery. Quality wrestling that Weekend Wars brings helps reap many benefits for wrestlers. One reward is to be scouted and recognized by a College recruiter in attendance. Another reward is to do battle with another dedicated young champion, pushing each other to even greater heights. I guarantee before the tournament is over, if you wrestled against the best, they will have helped you expose the weaknesses you must work on.

All those in attendance recognize that success is a mind set and it comes from within. They alone are in charge of their own destiny. If you really want to become your best, push yourself as hard as you possibly can and you will find results. It’s not about the work-out, it’s about your work ethic. Never Surrender.

I encourage all of you to come on up and join in on the fun.

Thank you
Coach Chagolla