D1 Comprehensive Rankings

bayoubadger

So can I hear your logic about 126?
I admitted my oversight with Wood. I also missed the head to head of the BC kid with the Mesa kid. When I thought Wood was a 120 due to the mistake on trackwrestling I needed one more guy to make 6, hence the BC kid. I changed 126 like an hour ago. I realized my oversight. It was a mistake but there was logic behind it.

Mike Jarman

Dude, I changed them 2 hours ago, they are the rankings you suggested. Go to sleep.
My bad. What about Zaragoza? I wouldn’t leave him out. He was 4th at state last yr. There is a rumor that he is out with a concussion but I think he should still be in the rankings until he for sure doesn’t show at sectionals.

East Valley

That doesn’t seem like very sound logic.
You have to put your dislike of a school aside & homer glasses off just a little. :) For rankings it's best to take the most recent matches. Just because someone won earlier doesn't matter later in the season. Some losses are lopsided due to style matchups. If we rationalize what a loss or win means more than just a win & loss then our personal opinion becomes the logic.

I'm not saying you are. From what I've seen Bigelow should be higher at 138. Based on how he performed throughout the whole season but I'm not thinking with my heart. Who knows maybe that is my opinion? I'm confused. Haha

Last edited:

Mike Jarman

I did it the way I did because I watched the match between Rodriguez and Waite. That Waite would beat Nickel hands down he is the real deal. Bigelow I just can’t get over the fact that someone scored 16 points on him. Yes he won...but 16 points. Rodriguez lost to the two above him.

You are saying you can’t get over that Someone scored 16 points on Bigelo yet you are convinced Tanner Waite is the real deal and he has 20 points scored in him. (By Bigelo)

bayoubadger

You are saying you can’t get over that Someone scored 16 points on Bigelo yet you are convinced Tanner Waite is the real deal and he has 20 points scored in him. (By Bigelo)
Did you watch the match? I watched Rodriguez and Waite wrestle. Rodriguez did not lose to a person I ranked lower than him. It seems that you are trying to objectively base all of your rankings on wins and losses. While there is a place for that and it often works and is often sufficient, in a situation like the 138 class where there is not enough head to head and they all beat up in each other you have to take other things into account. I have watched hundreds of individual matches over the course of this season. I have been around wrestling a long time. I feel quite qualified to make a subjective determination of who is a better wrestler than someone else. This subjective determination happens all the time in sports rankings. Case in point is if it weren’t for the subjectivity of rankings Alabama would not be the BCS National Champion this year and there is a chance it would have been Central Florida.

Mike Jarman

Did you watch the match? I watched Rodriguez and Waite wrestle. Rodriguez did not lose to a person I ranked lower than him. It seems that you are trying to objectively base all of your rankings on wins and losses. While there is a place for that and it often works and is often sufficient, in a situation like the 138 class where there is not enough head to head and they all beat up in each other you have to take other things into account. I have watched hundreds of individual matches over the course of this season. I have been around wrestling a long time. I feel quite qualified to make a subjective determination of who is a better wrestler than someone else. This subjective determination happens all the time in sports rankings. Case in point is if it weren’t for the subjectivity of rankings Alabama would not be the BCS National Champion this year and there is a chance it would have been Central Florida.
I’m not saying Waite isn’t “the real deal” My point is that you can’t say you discount Bigelos win because he gave up 16 points and then just look passed the fact the Waite gave up 20 points. You have to count actual results and especially head to head as most important in rankings and try to keep your opinion out of it. I have stated earlier that my rankings are not necessarily how I think things will play out. I have my opinions too but the rankings should reflect strictly the results of matches not opinion.

Last edited:

Mike Jarman

You could make another feed labelled predictions or something and state how you think people will place. That’s different than rankings though. That would be a fun feed. My orders would be changed up for sure because then I would interject my opinion on not just go off results.

bayoubadger

I’m not saying Waite isn’t “the real deal” My point is that you can’t say you discount Bigelos win because he gave up 16 points and then just look passed the fact the Waite gave up 20 points. You have to count actual results and especially head to head as most important in rankings and try to keep your opinion out of it. I have stated earlier that my rankings are not necessarily how I think things will play out. I have my opinions too but the rankings should reflect strictly the results of matches not opinion.
Let me summarize my previous post that you must not have finished reading. If you can’t base rankings off of results of matches like at 138, you have to go off of something. Maybe you would prefer to use a dart board.