Division 3 Rankings

wm201617

Tarcon, I absolutely agree with you. It would not surprise me at all. I think Dawon has had weighins where he could make it legally.

Look, just telling you my opinion on 160. I am often wrong and very easily could be wrong about 160. This is same MDN kid who lost to Johnson last year at 160 right? His brother who wrestled at 152 is the heavier one now at 170 now. If that is case I stand by my prediction. His brother at 170 is a better wrestler in my opinion.
Just because I say someone wont win state does NOT mean I dont think they are a great wrestler. If AZ had 1 true champ many many many great wrestlers we think of as state champs even multiple yr champs or as probable champs would not be. Its no disrespect. The Torres brothers are awesome wrestlers who happen to be in loaded weight classes.

East Valley

I just can't wait to see how this plays out! I'm pumped to watch all Divisions this year!

Thanks for the work on the rankings!

Tarcon, I absolutely agree with you. It would not surprise me at all. I think Dawon has had weighins where he could make it legally.

Look, just telling you my opinion on 160. I am often wrong and very easily could be wrong about 160. This is same MDN kid who lost to Johnson last year at 160 right? His brother who wrestled at 152 is the heavier one now at 170 now. If that is case I stand by my prediction. His brother at 170 is a better wrestler in my opinion.
Just because I say someone wont win state does NOT mean I dont think they are a great wrestler. If AZ had 1 true champ many many many great wrestlers we think of as state champs even multiple yr champs or as probable champs would not be. Its no disrespect. The Torres brothers are awesome wrestlers who happen to be in loaded weight classes.

The Torres twins chose the weights because of who they would have. Also, the Torres at 160 who lost to Johnson at state Pinned him at mile high and lost to him at state because he tried a dumb move, was put to his back, and got stalled out. Also with his match with White, he put White to his back multiple times and was battling an injury that match and wrestled through it so he wouldn't have a loss. Torres at 170 handled Mordecai. Neither one of these two wrestles the same match and are always evolving. They are both great. Also if there was only one state tournament, they would both win after the season they've had. Andrew has controlled every state placer he's wrestled and Alex handled the Queen creek state runner up and majored an all american in the finals at the las vegas holliday classic. No one is touching them.

Jonson at 182 for MDN is a true darkhorse with potential to put ANYONE to his back. Manassra at 220 handled Combs, but gave up big points early and also got stalled out as he turned the kid. Jones at 120 is a stud for sure and made that Yuma kid look like a scrub pinning him in the first.

As a whole, MDN this yes is full of scrappy kids with tremendous heart and none of them should be slept on.

CVCougar

1. Yes a 4-0 section winner would be seeded higher than a non defending state champ that was 50-1 or 60-1 as crazy as it seems.
2. IF the above poster has his prediction for sectionals come true then for state its impossible for Gamez to be seeded 4 but it wont matter.
Sort 1 and 2 would be Rock,then Torres, then White, then Zabala
Sort 3 is complicated as H2H White replaces Rock but H2H Torres replaces White.
So tell me if I am wrong but that leaves
1. Torres
2. White
3 rock
4 zabala
It puts gamez auto in the top bracket though still.

Now if gamez wins section it would be
1. Rock ( no H2H to challenge him down)
2. Torres
3.Gamez (2 losses but better % than Zabala
4. Zabala
Puts White auto into top bracket.
Both scenarios still in all likelihood make your semi final matchups happen though.

I mean no disrespect but I foresee a Rock Gamez final. I dont think Torres can get by Gamez and they will be on same side of bracket almost guaranteed

I should have stated it more clear, Gamez beats the 4 seed Zabala to advance to the semis. The crystal ball just showed names and Gamez was advancing from the 4 seed side. It will be fun regardless, along with 170 and some barn burer lightweight matches.

tarcon157

The Torres twins chose the weights because of who they would have. Also, the Torres at 160 who lost to Johnson at state Pinned him at mile high and lost to him at state because he tried a dumb move, was put to his back, and got stalled out. Also with his match with White, he put White to his back multiple times and was battling an injury that match and wrestled through it so he wouldn't have a loss. Torres at 170 handled Mordecai. Neither one of these two wrestles the same match and are always evolving. They are both great. Also if there was only one state tournament, they would both win after the season they've had. Andrew has controlled every state placer he's wrestled and Alex handled the Queen creek state runner up and majored an all american in the finals at the las vegas holliday classic. No one is touching them.

Jonson at 182 for MDN is a true darkhorse with potential to put ANYONE to his back. Manassra at 220 handled Combs, but gave up big points early and also got stalled out as he turned the kid. Jones at 120 is a stud for sure and made that Yuma kid look like a scrub pinning him in the first.

As a whole, MDN this yes is full of scrappy kids with tremendous heart and none of them should be slept on.
No one sleeping on MDN... kids are very talented and it's nice that ever match they wrestled this year is on YouTube for everyone to watch and scout... with that said coaches with kids in the fight have probably come up with game plans by now... 160s will be fun to watch and could go many different ways but Jackson Allen is unbeatable at the state tournament kid finds a way to win at state

wm201617

Wrassilin fan. I love the way you defend your opinion and you make great points and you know you may very well be right. You may have to call me out after State in this forum and tell me to eat crap! However, I am not convinced either one of the Torres will win state much less both of them. But you make a convincing case I have to admit and maybe they both win it easily. ( but like other poster says: Allen never looks near as good during season as he does at State and trust me he will be ready. I will say that if you read my post from Wednesday that I do pick the MDN 220 to win it in a big upset.
Anyway, all this is fun but the fact is that what will happen will happen and the truth will come out regardless of the stuff we think or the opinions we post.

bayoubadger

Wrassilin fan. I love the way you defend your opinion and you make great points and you know you may very well be right. You may have to call me out after State in this forum and tell me to eat crap! However, I am not convinced either one of the Torres will win state much less both of them. But you make a convincing case I have to admit and maybe they both win it easily. ( but like other poster says: Allen never looks near as good during season as he does at State and trust me he will be ready. I will say that if you read my post from Wednesday that I do pick the MDN 220 to win it in a big upset.
Anyway, all this is fun but the fact is that what will happen will happen and the truth will come out regardless of the stuff we think or the opinions we post.
I don’t see MDN winning at 220 as that big of an upset. Granted the only match I have Jacobs from Combs wrestle he was getting beat 11-3 by a 14 year old freshman from Sunnyside who definitely was not as physically gifted as Jacobs.

whenndoubtchokemout

"when in doubt, chokem out"
Everyone at STATE is beatable, I have seen many undefeated wrestlers, returning state champions, All Americans and National Champions get beat. sh** if MIKE TYSON got knocked out, ANYONE on that bracket has a chance.

Last edited:

SPRAWL

160 is a stacked weight class, anyone of the top 4 may be able to pull off a championship win. Torres is still the odds on favorite since his record is unblemished this season, although his match with White was very close (1 PT.) Rock was beaten by White (1 PT.)and according to Chino's stats Gamez was beaten by Rock (Fall)(Doesn't show on Gamez's matches page).
My bad, Trackwrestling shows that Rock beat G. Lopez from Walden Grove not Gamez.

SPRAWL

Granted MDN has a bunch of good wrestlers. As far as the Torrez bros. i agree they're tough and talented, but stating that they will absolutely win the State Championship without anyone touching them is stepping out a bit far. It will all come down to what happens on the mat. Like whenindoubt said "Everyone at STATE is beatable, I have seen many undefeated wrestlers, returning state champions, All Americans and National Champions get beat".

Johnson is a good wrestler with a lot of wins, but hasn't really come through in the tough matches. He's been pinned 4 times and majored twice, including losses to 2 wrestlers who eventually dropped to 170. Just don't see him as having the potential to put ANYONE to their back.

I didn't see the Jacobs vs Manassra match but it was nearly tech fall (19-6) according to Trackwrestling. So I can't imagine that Jacobs was "handled" by Manassra. Like i said earlier anything is possible at State. Wish all the wrestlers the best and hope everyone stays safe!

Yuma boy

My Crystal Ball tells me:
White wins his section, followed by Gamez, and a tough Acuna from Sahuarita who is going to surprise someone early.
Torres wins his section easy.
Zabala wins his section.
Rock wins his section.
1 seed Torres beats 4 seed Gamez in the semis and 3 seed Rock beats 2 seed White on other side of the bracket. Rock upsets Torres in the finals. Last time I made a homer pick to upset someone in the finals, I had a dad want to fight me for posting it. I never heard from him after my pick won. It will be the best bracket to watch for sure. There will be some awesome quarter finals matches too.
Your crystal ball broken, Gamez broke that kid.