Division 3 Rankings

bayoubadger

Yah, I agree with your rankings I just put in my two cents on a couple weight classes that I think will get crazy regardless of what logically makes sense as far as rankings.

I can tell you the WG kid at 106 is no joke. Also for those comments on other boards about RAMOS of Castell in D4. I wasnt a believer UNTIL I saw him wrestle. He is a 4 time state champ barring injury regardless of division or competition. Mark my words he is like a little Roman Bravo.

160 - And I watched the White - Rock match at Marana. White actually beat him better than just looking on track would make you think. But a lot of points came from the same type of moves by White. In my opinion I think Rock is a better all around wrestler and can wrestle him smarter this time and beat him if they even wrestle.
Also, Howard from Showlow a state placer from last year might be in the mix a bit as well. Opposite bracket than Rock in all probability and as such will be a "tough out' for some kids who think they are going to coast into the semis or finals.

170 - You heard it here first. And to buck the trend: MDN kid takes 3rd losing to Sussel in the semis. ( and rip me a new one if I am wrong cuz I would deserve it)

182- Henderson of course. No question no argument. Just a battle for 2,3,4 BUT this weight class could very well determine the team championship. Dewitt was beating Sanchez when Sanchez went down. Dewitt is guaranteed basically to be on bottom of bracket away from Henderson. I think Dewitt will over perform his seeding and ranking and when that happens it will be very good for Show Low.

195 - Again, I am biased for SL as I have said. At 195, I think SL wins it handily even though I understand the other posters point on him. (FYI he has only lost 1 time in 2 years by points) but regardless he cant be ranked 1 cuz he lost to Mickelson.

195 could get messy -- IF somehow Sanford wins his section( and that's a big IF) beating Ibanez and Edwards then Sanford will be seeded 1 at 6-0 and Keime and Mickelson and Ibanez /WG( whoever takes 2nd place to Sanfordat sectionals) will all be on bottom of bracket. I happen to know Keime doesn't care where or if he is seeded but it might matter to the others. Just sayin.

220 - Yah, I know that the Combs kid is real AND he is also super nice kid. I spoke to him briefly at Mile High. I kind of put that just to get some posts by his fans. Combs should be ranked 1. he deserves it.

Well I hope SL wins state and all my predictions come true. if not don't worry, I wont open up the forum for a year to read all the people telling me how stupid I was. :)

Same thing may happen at 195 in D1. Cibola and Sandra Day O'Connor both have wrestlers that have only wrestled a few matches but are undefeated. Both are in the same section. One of them is likely to win the section (although it is not clear if either or both are wrestling). If that happens they would take the 1st Seed over Rees from Sunnyside (Assuming he wins, which isn't a slam dunk considering one of only two guys to beat him this year is in his section). This would like put Rees, Hollen from Mesa Mt View and the loser of the aforementioned section on the bottom half of the bracket.

Is that true, a kid who is only 6-0 can be a #1 seed at state?
I assure you if your talking about Whitewater he has more than 6 matches at 106. He's wrestled Doc Wright and Sand Devil Classic at 106 not to mention any duals. Not to mention the fact he will get more matches in at Sectionals.

bayoubadger

Is that true, a kid who is only 6-0 can be a #1 seed at state?
Yes. The #1 seed has to go to one of the Section Champions. So unless one of the other Section Champions is either the returning State Champ (AND he has not lost to the 6-0 wrestler) or one of the Section Champs is also undefeated with more matches wrestled, based upon winning percentage the 6-0 wrestler would be the #1 seed.

Allazallstars

You need at least 7 matches to be seeded for sectionals.

So that 6-0 wrestler is not seedable at the section tournament. Random draw in.

bayoubadger

You need at least 7 matches to be seeded for sectionals.

So that 6-0 wrestler is not seedable at the section tournament. Random draw in.
Correct, I find it odd that they do not do something similar at State. At least make the kid that has only wrestled a handful of matches the 4 seed. I could see a situation where some coach finally talks a big football player to come wrestle heavyweight a week before the section tournament. They are in a week section for heavyweight. He pins his kids and goes into State as the #1 seed at 4-0.

SPRAWL

I assure you if your talking about Whitewater he has more than 6 matches at 106. He's wrestled Doc Wright and Sand Devil Classic at 106 not to mention any duals. Not to mention the fact he will get more matches in at Sectionals.
I believe they are referring to wm201617's post: 195 could get messy -- IF somehow Sanford wins his section( and that's a big IF) beating Ibanez and Edwards then Sanford will be seeded 1 at 6-0 and Keime and Mickelson and Ibanez /WG( whoever takes 2nd place to Sanfordat sectionals) will all be on bottom of bracket. I happen to know Keime doesn't care where or if he is seeded but it might matter to the others. Just sayin.

JMP2808

I am not sure folks realize how much time it can take to put together an entire rankings just so wrestling enthusiasts can have something to think about and to provide feedback to. So thank YOU for the rankings. I think your rankings are pretty darn good and have always been.
> A state champ should always be ranked ahead of non champs unless a head to head loss. Its fair for someone to state in their opinion someone is better based on common opponent but for ranking purposes I absolutely agree with how you rank. In the 170 case I am pretty confident Allen will win state again.

So my feedback on your latest rankings is Thankyou. In my opinion and only my opinion the following are my thoughts and no disrespect and are not rankings per say.
Waldon Grove #1 at 106
Show Low will do better than 5 at 120
Rock beats Safford this time around in semi final and makes finals at 160 or shows up at 152 as a surprise #2 seed and makes finals but I think he wins it at 160.
The Apache Junction kid at 195 takes 3rd or 4th. Sanford from Safford also places 4,5 or 6th
I take the MDN kid to win it all at 220. (Yep I went there. This comment should stir it up a bit)

I think its Waldon Grove as favorite to win but Showlow as underdog has some unranked kids at 115, 145, 160 , Hvy who will place and as such Show Low will end up winning state. ( I am biased for Show Low and admit it)
Safford 3rd Yuma 4th.
We will know much more after sectionals. Not only because in reality only 4 kids are seeded at each weight and we can figure out top and bottoms but we can see how many each of those top teams can push through to state.

I think
SL pushes through 11 or 12
WG pushes through 8 or 9
SAF pushes through 10 or 11 and beats WG at their section but not at state.
YUMA punches through 11 or 12

Ok, beat me up. And yah, come Sat. Night when Sectionals all settled you can tell me how stupid I was. These are just my thoughts and opinions.
Rock is a smart pick at 160, but don't sleep on the Walden kid. He's close to 100% and beat Marco Groves being only 85%.

SPRAWL

Rock is a smart pick at 160, but don't sleep on the Walden kid. He's close to 100% and beat Marco Groves being only 85%.
160 is a stacked weight class, anyone of the top 4 may be able to pull off a championship win. Torres is still the odds on favorite since his record is unblemished this season, although his match with White was very close (1 PT.) Rock was beaten by White (1 PT.)and according to Chino's stats Gamez was beaten by Rock (Fall)(Doesn't show on Gamez's matches page).

JMP2808

160 is a stacked weight class, anyone of the top 4 may be able to pull off a championship win. Torres is still the odds on favorite since his record is unblemished this season, although his match with White was very close (1 PT.) Rock was beaten by White (1 PT.)and according to Chino's stats Gamez was beaten by Rock (Fall)(Doesn't show on Gamez's matches page).
I can tell you that Rock has never wrestled Gamez. Gamez is unbeaten this season and won two matches at FW with a concussion before his father pulled him.

AZ_wrestlinFan#1

That's a good pick, Alex is a super stud. All I'm saying is don't sleep on a 100% healthy Gamez. You'll see what I'm talking about after sectionals this weekend.
I’m not sleeping on Gamez at all, Those other 3 studs have some tournament wins and a full season under their belt. Having 1 significant win is good and all, it’s just not enough to convince me. We’ll see when State comes to prove me wrong.

JMP2808

I’m not sleeping on Gamez at all, Those other 3 studs have some tournament wins and a full season under their belt. Having 1 significant win is good and all, it’s just not enough to convince me. We’ll see when State comes to prove me wrong.
You're right it's going to be an awesome weight class to watch come state.

CVCougar

My Crystal Ball tells me:
White wins his section, followed by Gamez, and a tough Acuna from Sahuarita who is going to surprise someone early.
Torres wins his section easy.
Zabala wins his section.
Rock wins his section.
1 seed Torres beats 4 seed Gamez in the semis and 3 seed Rock beats 2 seed White on other side of the bracket. Rock upsets Torres in the finals. Last time I made a homer pick to upset someone in the finals, I had a dad want to fight me for posting it. I never heard from him after my pick won. It will be the best bracket to watch for sure. There will be some awesome quarter finals matches too.

JMP2808

White wins his section, followed by Gamez, and a tough Acuna from Sahuarita who is going to surprise someone early.
Zabala wins his section.
Rock wins his section.
1 seed Torres beats 4 seed Gamez in the semis and 3 seed Rock beats 2 seed White on other side of the bracket. Rock upsets Torres in the finals. Last time I made a homer pick to upset someone in the finals, I had a dad want to fight me for posting it. I never heard from him after my pick won. It will be the best bracket to watch for sure. There will be some awesome quarter finals matches too.
This can v
Zabala wins his section.
Rock wins his section.
That can very easily be what happens. There's a lot of tough talent there at the top. It's going to fun watchin it all play out. Them crazy dad's out there take things to serious sometimes, you just gotta laugh about it and let the wrestling do the talking.

wm201617

1. Yes a 4-0 section winner would be seeded higher than a non defending state champ that was 50-1 or 60-1 as crazy as it seems.
2. IF the above poster has his prediction for sectionals come true then for state its impossible for Gamez to be seeded 4 but it wont matter.
Sort 1 and 2 would be Rock,then Torres, then White, then Zabala
Sort 3 is complicated as H2H White replaces Rock but H2H Torres replaces White.
So tell me if I am wrong but that leaves
1. Torres
2. White
3 rock
4 zabala
It puts gamez auto in the top bracket though still.

Now if gamez wins section it would be
1. Rock ( no H2H to challenge him down)
2. Torres
3.Gamez (2 losses but better % than Zabala
4. Zabala
Puts White auto into top bracket.
Both scenarios still in all likelihood make your semi final matchups happen though.

I mean no disrespect but I foresee a Rock Gamez final. I dont think Torres can get by Gamez and they will be on same side of bracket almost guaranteed

tarcon157

I also say safford tries to pull a fast one on saturday and move dawon to to 145 and white to 152 to try and put more guys in the finals